2020 Facebook/ Aga Khan University Mobile Video Journalism Fellowship
Deadline: January 31, 2020.
The Aga Khan University Graduate School of Media and Communications (AKU-GSMC), in partnership with Facebook, is excited to introduce The Mobile Video Journalism Fellowship –an initiative that aims to bolster digital skills in journalism to increase the production of Kenyan stories captured through high-quality mobile video.
Selected fellows will be placed as staff (paid by stipend) with Kenyan media houses where they will use smartphones to tell their stories. They will be tasked with conducting hands-on investigative journalism and creating relevant digital content. Additionally, fellows will be required to participate in various boot camps and workshops on selected weekends. This experience is designed to improve your skills in storytelling with data, mobile editing, and mobile journalism.
1. Have an eye for a good story
2. A tech-savvy smartphone user
3. Thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
4. Interested in using mobile journalism to shape the future of media in East Africa
5. While formal education is not a prerequisite for selection, the applicant must demonstrate knowledge or experience in journalism, media, communications, video production or related field(s).
6. Candidates should be 21 years of age and older.
This fellowship pays a monthly gross stipend (beginning in March 2020) of USD $600 provided by The Aga Khan University Graduate School of Media and Communications.
The application process involves the following three steps:
- Personal information
- Four short-answer question responses:
- Please share your reasons or inspiration for applying for this fellowship. (max 150 words)
- What is your vision for the future of journalism and mobile storytelling? (max 150 words)
- Please share one recent online news story (either hard or soft/entertainment) that was impactful to you, and explain why. Also provide the link if available. (max 100 words)
- If you could take a friend on a walk or drive anywhere in Kenya for 3 hours, where would you take them and what stories or experiences would you share? (max 250 words)
- Two submissions:
- One video you have created within the past six months that will be assessed on aspects of storytelling ability, creativity, relevance, and quality. This video can include, but is not limited to social media content, professional content, news content, entertainment content, travel content, etc.