2020 Council of Europe World Forum for Democracy Call for Initiative
Deadline: June 30, 2020.
The World Forum for Democracy is a platform for global dialogue and democratic participation which brings new ideas into the work of the Council of Europe and promotes its principles across the world. A unique event of its kind, it deals with challenges facing democracy, taking innovative initiatives and practices as a starting point and fostering constructive debate to find solutions. A democratic exercise, the Forum aims at giving the people – demos – their rightful place in political decision-making. It thus contributes to the evolution of democracy towards more participatory and inclusive structures and institutions.
The 2020 World Forum for Democracy will debate the issues and generate new ideas for tackling the environmental crisis we face today. Plenary sessions will be an opportunity to discuss with speakers from all continents, including politicians, public and private officials, international organisations and civil society. Forum Talks will bring together relevant experts and academics that will share their experience and discuss how to improve the current situation. Forum Labs will allow participants to learn about ground-breaking initiatives that offer responses to the key questions above based on an analysis of their real impact and replicability. The initiatives should help us understand how democracy and democratic institutions and practices can help accelerate the fight against climate change
1. Any public or private organisation is eligible to apply.
2. They invite initiatives addressing topics including, but not limited to:
- Climate activism
- Participatory practices for the environment
- Defending the defenders of the environment
- Local partnerships guiding behaviour change within communities
- Deliberative democracy and public policy
- Environmental entrepreneurship
- Global environmental justice
- Public-private partnerships for environmental protection
- Inequality and intersectionality facing climate change
- Digitalisation at the service of the environment
- Innovations in youth activism, youth mobilisation for the environment
- Environmental education, training and awareness-raising
- Use of new technologies to combat climate change
- Protecting biodiversity, ecosystems
- Sustainable development
- Green lobbying
One presenter for the selected initiatives will be invited to Strasbourg to take part in the World Forum. Travel and accommodation expenses may be covered by the Council of Europe if required
Submissions should be made by answering the questionnaire in the appendix and sending it to [email protected]