2020 Central Asian Journalist-in-Residence Program
Deadline: November 15, 2019.
Application now open for the spring 2020 Central Asian Journalist-in-Residence Program. The Central Asian Journalist-in-Residence Program brings journalists from across Central Asia to the United States for individual professional residencies designed to increase professional standards, increase the credibility and accuracy of participants’ reporting, and bolster independent media in Central Asia.
Journalists-in-Residence participate in intensive month-long work placements at American media organizations in the state of Texas, supplemented by journalism training opportunities at local universities. Through these residencies, Journalists-in-Residence explore the structure and operations of American media outlets and strengthen their understanding of disinformation and source verification
- Citizen of Kazakhstan, the Kyrgyz Republic, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, or Uzbekistan
- At least five years of relevant work experience
Successful applicants will demonstrate the following selection criteria:
- Relevant experience and recent work in the field
- Leadership and commitment to career growth, positive attitude, and initiative
- Commitment to develop a network of Central Asian independent journalist and media outlets
- Strong English language skills in speaking, reading, and writing
Applications must be submitted through the online application in English. You can start an application, save your progress, and return to submit it at a later point before the deadline. The application requirements include:
- 3 short essays
- 3 examples of recent work in English. If you do not have examples published in English, please provide a translation and the original work.
- 1 letter of recommendation in English from a current or former supervisor. Letters must be submitted directly from the recommender to Meridian by email; letters submitted by applicants will not be accepted. Applicants are responsible for requesting letters of recommendation and confirming that letters have been submitted. Applications without letters of recommendation will not be considered.