2020 Center for African Affairs and Conflict Research (CAACOR) Digital Identity and National Security in Africa Fellowship
Deadline: June 30, 2020.
CAACOR in Partnership with CIPIT at Strathmore University, WISER at The University of Witwatersrand and CLET at Makerere University invite applications for the inaugural Digital Identity and National Security Fellowship. The purpose of the fellowship is to build intellectual capital and contribute to the understanding of the relationship between Digital Identity, national security and surveillance on the continent. Fellows are expected to investigate one or more of the following thematic areas;
A. How can digital identity policymakers in Africa balance legitimate national security interests with consideration for risks to individual privacy and human rights?
B. What is the impact of digitization of African economies on inclusion of
marginalized groups, including displaced individuals and refugees?
C. Which multi-stakeholder engagements and interdisciplinary approaches can be deployed to create Africa-specific evidence bases on digitization and conflict research in Africa?
1. To be eligible, applicants must be registered graduate students at Strathmore University, Makerere University or the University of Witwatersrand, with priority given to graduate students with existing
research on technology use in Africa.
2. Interested applicants from African universities outside the participating institutions are welcome to apply if referred by faculty or staff from participating research institutions.
3. If you would like to be referred by faculty or staff from participating research institutions, please send an email to
email@example.com copying firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. Candidates form Nigeria, Sierra Leone and the Sahel Region are encouraged to apply.
A. Receive a modest stipend to support research costs for the duration of the
fellowship as well as costs for attending a virtual workshop at the end of the
B. Attend a virtual orientation to prepare for research on the 15th of July 2020
C. Submit an informal mid-term report by the 30th of September 2020
D. Present at a virtual conference held at the conclusion of the research 24th of November 2020
E. Submit a final project paper on the 30th November 2020
F. Complete all assignments and participate in all fellowship events
1. CAACOR, CIPIT, CLET and WISER invite applicants to complete this online application form.
2. Answers should be as clear and detailed as possible. Applications should be submitted with a resume indicating all experience relevant to the fellowship and a statement of purpose attached.
3. Applicants should submit a 250-500 word abstract of the intended area of research and two letters of recommendation to email@example.com copying firstname.lastname@example.org. (The letters of recommendation should be from persons in a position to affirm the value of the fellowship in the context of the Applicants academic work and interests; and at least one of the referees should be a faculty member of the Applicants University, preferably an advisor if the Applicant has one)