2020 Branco Weiss Fellowship – Society in Science Postdoc Program
Deadline: January 15, 2020.
The Branco Weiss Fellowship – Society in Science is a unique postdoc program. It awards young researchers around the world with a generous personal research grant, giving them the freedom to work on whatever topic they choose anywhere in the world, for up to five years.
This research fellowship is designed to support postdoctoral researchers after their PhD and before their first faculty appointment. Those in current postdoctoral positions are also eligible. Ideally, fellows pursue unconventional projects in new areas of science, engineering and social sciences.
You are eligible for the 2020 campaign if:
- You officially hold a PhD on January 15, 2020
- You have obtained your PhD a maximum of five years prior to January 15, 2020
- You do not hold or have held a faculty-equivalent position (e.g. assistant professor or lecturer)
- Your project departs from the mainstream of research in your discipline
- You have a record of outstanding scientific achievement
- You demonstrate in the proposal a willingness to engage in a dialogue on relevant social, cultural, political or economic issues across the frontiers of your particular discipline
A Branco Weiss Fellowship consists of CHF 100,000 per year. It may be used to cover all legitimate costs of research (i.e. salary and/or equipment, travel expenses, consumables, personnel, etc.).
Applications for the 2020 fellowship intake are now open. Apply here.
Please have the following documents (pdf files) ready for uploading:
- Letter of motivation including a statement explaining why your research differs from the mainstream (max. 1 page)
- Your proposed research project (max. 4 pages, including abstract, references extra)
- Your CV (max. 4 pages)
- Copies of your three best publications (no doctoral theses, no books, only individual book chapters)
- Application overview (download template here), including a reasoning of why you believe that you are a perfect candidate for a Branco Weiss Fellowship (max. 1000 characters)