2020 Ben Enwonwu Foundation Lagos Creative Project Artist-in-Residence Programme for Artists of African and French Descent
Deadline: March 20, 2020.
Initiated by The Ben Enwonwu Foundation in partnership with Alliance Française Lagos/Mike Adenuga Centre, The Lagos Creative Project focuses on experimentation and new possibilities in painting and sculpture, two mediums celebrated African pioneer modernist artist, Ben Enwonwu excelled in.
1. The residency also welcomes work in all areas of the visual arts and is open to artists of African and French descent.
2. It seeks to foster cross-cultural ties and exchange between African countries and France by providing a platform for them to broaden their practice, nurture new forms and ideas, establish networks and develop collaborative projects.
3. The programme encourages applications that engage Lagos as a megacity by exploring themes that preoccupied Enwonwu throughout his career, including identity, the body (the gaze), gender equality, spirituality and religion, peace and conflict resolution, and environmental sustainability.
1. Selected artists will be provided with a live/work studio space at the new, ultra modern Alliance Française Lagos/Mike Adenuga Centre in Nigeria. Playing host to many major arts events in Lagos, it’s facilities – including a gallery, library, state-of-the art auditorium, and the world famous bakery/ bistro Maison Eric Keyser – are excellent for research, exhibitions, presentations and talks.
2. Support All artists will receive a monthly stipend for incidentals and a one-off stipend for additional art supplies. Funding for travel within Lagos will also be covered while assistance with visa letters will be extended to international participants. However, they will be responsible for their visa fees, travel fare and health care.
For consideration, please visit the website and fill the online form https://benenwonwufoundation.org/artist-in-residence-programme/ Applicants must also include:
- Full name / date of birth / gender
- 2. Passport photo & passport copy – Language(s) spoken – City/country
- CV (PDF) and artist’s statement explaining motivation and research objectives
- Samples of previous work (PDF, website, link to Dropbox or similar) – Project proposal: Specific project for this residency, including special needs and production logistics
- Preferred time of residency