2020 Asean-India Research Training Fellowship for ASEAN Member State.
Deadline: June 30, 2020.
India has been the dialogue partner for ASEAN (Association of South East Asian Nations) since 1992. In 2012, on the occasion of 20th anniversary as dialogue partner, India-ASEAN celebrated commemorative Summit and declared enhancement of its relations to strategic level.
India S&T Collaboration started formally in 1996 with establishment of ASEAN India S&T working Group (AIWGST). Initially, the collaborative ASEAN-India S&T activities were supported through ASEAN India Fund (AIF). In 2008, Government of India established a dedicated fund viz ASEAN India S&T Development Fund (AISTDF) to support R&D projects and associated project development activities. The total budget of AISTDF is an equivalent amount of 5 Million USD in INR. This amount of 5 Million USD is jointly shared by Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) and Department of Science & Technology (DST). The Department of Science & Technology is the nodal Department for execution and implementation of ASEAN-India S&T Cooperation program from Indian side.
- Applicant must be holding nationality of any of the ASEAN Member State.
- Possess at-least a Masters Degree in any Natural Sciences or an equivalent degree in Technology / Engineering / Medicine / allied disciplines.
- Applicant should be working / studying and / or affiliated to any national R&D or academic institution in his/ her home ASEAN Member country. The application should be endorsed by the Head of his/ her institution confirming that if selected, he/ she will be sanctioned leave for the Fellowship period and will join his/ her duties back in the institution on completion of the Fellowship in India.
- The upper age limit for the applicant is 45 years as on date of submission of application.
- The Applicants who have already availed Research Training Fellowship(RTF) are not eligible to apply again.
- Fluency in English language
- Indian nationals are not eligible for the Fellowship.
- Applicants who have availed any fellowship scheme of Govt of India during last 5 years are not ELIGIBLE to apply.
- The applications are to be submitted only ONLINE at www.aistic.gov.in. The hard copies of the application are neither required. The applications submitted through any other form or channel shall not be considered.
- The Applicant should submit the application online along with the following enclosures:
- C.V. of Applicant
- C.V. of Indian host
- Copy of relevant pages of valid Passport
- A copy of the the endorsement letter from present employer in the prescribed format (Format for endorsement letter from present employer) Download
- A copy of the acceptance letter from any Indian scientist/ institution for hosting the applicant, if selected (Format for providing acceptance letter by Indian host) Download
- It is strongly advised that the applicant, in his/ her own interest, should make a prior contact with an Indian institution, where work is in progress in his/ her area of interest, or with a concerned scientist in India, and obtain consent that the applicant, if selected for the Fellowship, will be accepted to work in the institution on the proposed research project. A copy of such consent letter should be enclosed with the application.
In this connection, a suggestive list of Indian academic and R&D institutions has been enclosed with this Announcement to help the applicant, but the applicant is free to contact any other institution in India for his/ her affiliation.
If the applicant is not able to secure such prior consent, the IMRC Division DST will facilitate to connect the applicant with a suitable matching Indian institute on the basis of the information provided by the applicant and the research proposal submitted along with the application.
- Securing a prior consent from an Indian institution/ scientist does not guarantee the selection of an applicant. All applications received will be scrutinised by ASEAN Secretariat which in turn shall recommend /forward the application to IMRC Division DST for consideration and support. IMRC Division DST shall make final decision based on the quality of the research proposal submitted by the applicant, applicant’s academic merit and available slots in the Fellowship scheme.
- The completed applications / proposals can be submitted ONLINE throughout the year in two cycles ending 30th June and 31st December each year.
- Full financial assistance will be provided to the selected Fellows which will include the following:-
- All international travel related expenses ie round trip international airfare by excursion/ economy class by shortest route from the international airport in the home country of the applicant to the international airport nearest to the host institution in India; visa fees, overseas medical insurance etc.
- A consolidated Fellowship amount of Indian Rupees (INR) 50,000 per month (non-taxable) for accommodation, meals and other miscellaneous.
- One-time grant of INR 40,000/- for 6 months period for research contingency expenses, airport transfers, domestic travel (by road) for attending scientific /events and field-trips within India, and Institutional overhead charges @ Rs. 2,500/- per month.
- The allowance as in (a), (b) and (c) will be released to the host institution in India for disbursement to the Fellow. The host Institution will arrange appropriate accommodation for the Fellow on payment basis.
- The selected Fellow is advised to take an appropriate policy for health insurance coverage for the period of stay in India. The cost for obtaining overseas insurance policy is covered and reimbursable under AISTDF.
- Individual Fellow, or his/ her government / institution, is required to bear the following costs:
- All expenses in the home country incidental to travel abroad, including expenditure incurred to obtain passport and visa and for medical examinations and vaccinations as may be required as well as other miscellaneous expenses such as internal travel to/ from the international airport of departure in the home country.
- Salary and other related allowances in the home country, if applicable, during the Fellowship period.
- Neither the AISTDF nor the host institution in India will assume any responsibility whatsoever for the following expenditure of the Fellows during the tenure of the Fellowship:
- Compensation in the event of death, disability or loss of personal belongings or compensation for damage caused by climatic or other conditions.
- Travel and other costs incurred by the dependents, who might accompany the Fellows.