2020 APS Daland Fellowships in Clinical Investigation
Deadline: September 16, 2019.
The APS awards a limited number of Daland Fellowships in Clinical Investigation for research in the several branches of clinical medicine, including internal medicine, neurology, pediatrics, psychiatry, and surgery. The committee emphasizes patient-oriented research.
1. The fellowships are designed for qualified persons who have held an M.D. or M.D./Ph.D. degree for fewer than eight years.
2. The fellowship is usually intended to be the first post-clinical-training fellowship, but each case will be decided on its merits.
3. Preference is usually given to candidates who have not more than two years of postdoctoral training and research.
4. Applicants, both U.S. citizens and foreign nationals, must expect to perform their research at an institution in the United States, under the supervision of a scientific advisor.
5. Direct contact with patients is mandatory.
Stipends for the fellowship are $40,000 for the first year and $40,000 for the second year.
1. Candidates are to be nominated by their department chairman in a letter providing assurance that the nominee will work with the guidance of a scientific advisor of established reputation who has guaranteed adequate space, supplies, etc., for the Fellow.
2. The advisor need not be a member of the department nominating the Fellow, nor need the activities of the Fellow be limited to the nominating department. As a general rule, no more than one fellowship will be awarded to a given institution in the same year of competition.
1. Download the application and referee letter forms via the links below.
2. A complete application includes all materials requested on the form, in the correct number of copies, AND the three (3) confidential letters supporting the application.
3. Applications should be mailed for receipt by September 16, 2019, to:
Daland Fellowships in Clinical Investigation
American Philosophical Society
104 South Fifth Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106