2020 Africa Science Leadership Programme (ASLP) for MidCareer African Academics
Deadline: December 20, 2019.
The ASLP is an initiative of the University of Pretoria in partnership with the Global Young Academy, funded by the Robert Bosch Stiftung. It serves early- to mid-career researchers in basic and applied science, engineering, social sciences, arts and the humanities. The programme aims to grow mid-career African academics in the areas of thought leadership, team development, engagement and collaboration, with the intention of enabling them to solve the complex issues that face both Africa and the global community.
The leadership programme:
- Identifies early- to mid-career academics who have demonstrated leadership potential and an interest in developing key leadership skills
- Supports them to apply the acquired skills to projects that are relevant to the academic development on the continent and its impact on society
- Creates a network of academic leaders on the continent, spanning not only across countries, but also across disciplinary boundaries
- Advances a curriculum for academic leadership development, which can be utilised in institutions in Africa and beyond.
- A PhD degree or equivalent qualification;
- A faculty or a continuing research position at a research institution;
- Active in research and teaching at an African institution of higher education or research;
- A sustained record of outstanding scientific outputs;
- Interest in translating and communicating the results of their work for impact in society;
- Demonstrated leadership ability in research and beyond;
- Interest in the role of research in addressing complex issues affecting society;
- Interest in collaborations across disciplines and sectors (e.g. industry, government, etc.);
- Commitment to participate in all the activities of the fellowship; and
- Intent to share what is learned in the programme with their broader networks.
The costs incurred during the workshop (training, relevant travel, meals and accommodation) will be covered by the programme.