2019 YES! Solutions Journalism Reporting Internship
Deadline: January 18, 2019.
Do you love researching, reporting, and writing? Do you care deeply about the state of our world and want to put your skills to work reporting on progressive solutions for social change? If you are seeking a career in journalism and are passionate about social justice, then this is the internship for you.
YES! is an award-winning, national, nonprofit media organization. Our print magazine reaches 150,000 people each quarter. Online we reach nearly 5 million readers each year. Our editorial mission is to support social change by investigating and explaining solutions that address core problems at the intersections of social, economic, racial, and environmental justice. YES! established this internship to support emerging journalists from communities of color and to increase the diversity of voices and perspectives in solutions reporting and the journalism industry.
1. YES! reporting interns are key members of the editorial team. Interns’ primary focus is on article assignments made by our beat editors.
2. Interns will build skills in solutions journalism, including pitching, researching, reporting, and writing.
3. Interns will have ample opportunity to acquire high-quality clips in a variety of subject areas.
4. Interns will also be trained in aspects of print and digital publishing and social media.
1. Most successful applicants have a B.A. in journalism or a related field.
2. Most successful applicants also have experience writing about or can show fluency in the topics we cover, including climate justice, economic inequality, racial justice, democratic reform.
They are looking for interns with:
* Strong research, reporting, and writing skills and attention to detail and accuracy.
* Previous experience in journalism a plus.
* Excellent self-starter with the ability to work effectively independently.
* Excellent communication skills for a team environment.
YES! offers a $1,000/month stipend, as well as a local transit pass.
To apply, please send a resume, cover letter, two writing samples, and contact information for two references to [email protected] with “reporting internship” in the subject field.
Your cover letter should include your name, address, the community of color you represent, and the following:
- Tell us who you are, why you’re interested in joining YES!, and why diversity is important in solutions journalism. Up to 300 words.
- Pitch two article ideas. One pitch should be for a short, reported piece off of current events and the other for a more substantial feature. Each pitch should be 50 to 100 words.
- In a few sentences, tell us about your favorite media websites and magazines and who you think is doing great journalism—and why.