2019 World Nomads Travel Filmmaking Scholarship
Deadline: August 6, 2019.
Do you dream of becoming a professional travel filmmaker?
This is your chance to win an all-expenses-paid trip to Malaysia and be personally mentored by award-winning filmmaker Jenny Nichols. You could be capturing staggering seascapes and incredible biodiversity while telling stories of the diverse local communities who call Malaysia home.
1. If you’re still learning the craft of filmmaking and if creating films is responsible for less than 25% of your income, then you’re eligible to apply. This may mean you have had a few films commissioned in the past, or keep a regular video channel of your own – but it isn’t your full-time gig.
2. You do need a current passport with at least eight months left before expiry. We will reimburse all associated costs and where we can, They’ll assist the winner in acquiring a visa. However, the applicant must be eligible to obtain a Malaysian visa.
3. You may submit a film in your local language. However, if people in your film are speaking a language other than English your film must include English subtitles. Keep in mind that English skills are paramount as the scholarship mentor Jenny Nichols only speaks English.
1. Receive round-trip airfare from your closest international airport to Malaysia.
2. Improve your skills in the field and during post-production under the mentorship of professional filmmaker Jenny Nichols.
3. Explore Malaysia and capture its stories on an all-expenses-paid adventure.
4. Record superior sound for your film with new microphones courtesy of RØDE Microphones.
5. Protect your gear with a specialised camera bag from Lowepro and accessories from Langly.
6. As always, travel insurance for the trip provided by World Nomads.
1. Make a 3-minute documentary: Interview an adventurer or inspiring traveler and bring their compelling travel story to life.
2. Upload your film to YouTube or Vimeo: Please make sure your video is publicly accessible.
3. Complete the application form: Fill in your personal details so we know how to contact you should you make the shortlist.