2019 World Health Organization Administrative Technician Vacancy at Washington, D.C.
Deadline: May 28, 2019.
Working with 194 Member States, across six regions, and from more than 150 offices, WHO staff are united in a shared commitment to achieve better health for everyone, everywhere. Together we strive to combat diseases – communicable diseases like influenza and HIV, and noncommunicable diseases like cancer and heart disease.
We help mothers and children survive and thrive so they can look forward to a healthy old age. We ensure the safety of the air people breathe, the food they eat, the water they drink – and the medicines and vaccines they need.
Under the general supervision of the Director, Communicable Diseases and Environmental Determinants of Heath Department (CDE), and the direct supervision of the Administrative Officer, the incumbent is responsible for, but not limited to, the following assigned duties:
- Assist the Department Director, Unit Chiefs, technical advisors in Headquarters and in Country Office, and the Administrative Officer in the planning, compilation and preparation of the Biennial Work Plan (BWP), including monitoring allocation of regular and extra-budgetary funds by projects and expected results. Monitor the financial implementation of the annual program of work by maintaining the computerized database up-to-date with the constant upgrading of the system; matching and balancing data between the Organization’s financial systems;
- Update budget and financial information in PMIS system; monitor the status of budget execution and the project’s financial resources in the corporate information system and any other databases for reporting needs; provide feedback to enhance existing databases;
- Initiate and/or approve budget and finance related actions in the corporate information system for staff and contingent workers;
- Verify the execution of funds in accordance with the approved budget allocations; monitor and update funds as received; review documentation and source of funds previous to the establishment and request of financial commitments of the Department; monitor the use of the funds; analyze expenditures; determine availability of funds in each source amend financial commitments to ensure availability of funds for future activities; establish, monitor and ensure availability of funds; inform, when necessary, of funding and expenditure conditions that may affect the Projects’ operations;
- Coordinate with Program Budget and/or Finance Department transfer of funds and initiate the required steps in PMIS to carry out this activity;
- Monitor the financial execution of the program budget; assist in the preparation of expenditure reports by donors; provide periodic updates on the status of grants deadlines and financial status, regulations and administrative procedures to facilitate the execution of all funds before expiration date of agreements; assist in the review and verification of financial reports to be presented to donors;
- Assist in the review of administrative guidelines and procedures; implement and monitor the internal procedures for the efficient operation of Projects’ activities such as: recruitment of staff, consultants or advisors in HQs and in Country Offices; duty travel arrangements; national and international personal services contracts; letters of agreement, donor agreements and other technical agreements, as well as procurement services. Inform the staff of new regulations and procedures and ensure compliance to facilitate administrative processes. Serve as a liaison between PBU, FRM, PRO, HRM, and LEG on administrative matters for the Entity;
- Provide administrative support in the preparation of regional meetings, including the preparation of budget estimates on costs of personnel and participants’ travel; process the allocation of funds; and supervise the operational aspects involved in the Organization of these activities such as local conferences’ expenses and other financial needs. Facilitate the mobilization of CDE staff to WHO activities and in the logistic of WHO meetings in the Region;
- Provide administrative support to Department Director, Administrative Officer, Unit Chiefs, and professional staff stationed in HQs and sub regional staff stationed in Country Offices in all matters related to facilitating the programming, execution and evaluation of the Entity technical cooperation activities.
- Compose, draft and prepare correspondence in English and Spanish pertaining to assigned duties on own initiative or from verbal/written instructions for signature of the Director; prepare draft translations of correspondence and other materials from English into Spanish and vice versa;
- Maintain all administrative records related to the Projects’ staff, to include: extension of contracts, performance evaluation reports, job description reviews, reassignments, recruitment of short-term staff under the different contract types of the Organization, as well as preparing the corresponding justifications for the contracts and authorization of payments for temporary staff. Brief new staff on office procedures and practices; facilitate the accommodation of new staff, temporary advisors, interns, etc.;
- Administer the PAHO Corporate Credit Card assigned to the Teams; maintain a purchasing log by verifying accuracy of transaction on the monthly activity statements and marks records to identify worktags, obtaining approval signatures for the purchases; upon receipt of monthly statement activity from the bank, verify the transactions in PMIS and attach the corresponding invoices and receipts; maintaining the security of the Purchasing Card and auditable files;
- Perform other related duties, as assigned.
Essential: Certification of completion of high school.
Desirable: Formal training in the commercial, financial or administrative operation fields.
Essential: Six years of experience in administrative work related to project management activities, including experience in financial and budgetary operations.
- Overall attitude at work: Maintains integrity and takes a clear ethical approach and stance; demonstrates commitment to the Organization’s mandate and promotes the values of the Organization in daily work and behavior; is accountable for work carried out in line with own role and responsibilities; is respectful towards, and trusted by, colleagues and counterparts.
- Teamwork: Creates team spirit; promotes collaboration and open communication in the team; proactively supports others; welcomes team responsibilities and drives team results; promotes knowledge sharing in the team. Proactively identifies conflicts and facilitates their resolution in a respectful manner; tactfully resolves conflicts between or with others and takes action to reduce any possible tension; effectively builds a rapport with individuals and teams, establishing good personal and professional relationships, as well as minimizing risk of potential conflict.
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences: Treats all people with dignity and respect. Relates well to people with different cultures, gender, orientations, backgrounds and/or positions; examines own behavior to avoid stereotypical responses; considers issues from the perspective of others and values their diversity.
- Communication: Foresees communication needs of audience and targets message accordingly. Facilitates open communication; encourages others to share their views openly and takes time to understand and consider their views. Writes down ideas in a clear, structured, logical and credible way; drafts and supports the development of guidelines, policies and procedures. Shares relevant information openly and ensures that the shared information is understood; considers knowledge sharing as a constructive working method and demonstrates awareness of the Organization.
- Knowing and Managing Yourself: Remains objective and focused even in a “changing and moving” environment; continues to display positive behavior when facing some constraints; keeps challenges in perspective. Effectively controls own emotions, avoiding displaying them inappropriately; continues to show positive attitude when producing individual results, as well as supporting team’s work; continues to be collaborative with others, even in stressful and challenging circumstances. Sees feedback as a key element in personal and professional development; displays a high level of self-awareness in response to positive and negative feedback, accepts negative feedback positively, moving forward quickly and constructively. Seeks all relevant information for decision making from a wide range of sources; quickly learns new competencies and skills that expand role capability; shows rapid understanding of new and/or complex information relevant to job.
- Moving forward in a changing environment: Actively supports Organizational change initiatives and demonstrates personal commitment to them, including when faced with new demands; proposes workable solutions to challenging situations. Engages in positive responses to a changing environment and promotes workable solutions to achieve own and team’s results. Welcomes, and actively seeks to apply, new ideas, approaches and working methods and technologies in order to improve own and/or team’s work processes and results; demonstrates commitment to Organizational change initiatives.
- Skills in planning, organizing, problem-solving, and decision-making of office management processes.
- Ability to research, analyze and organize information in order to prepare charts, graphics, reports, etc.
- Ability to plan, organize, coordinate and carry out administrative processes such as: maintenance of expenditures records, preparation of statistical or periodical reports, etc.
- Ability to plan, organize, coordinate, and carry out administrative processes such as: meetings, recruitment of temporary staff, preparation of formal publications, preparation of reports, coordinating secretarial support services for meetings, etc.
- Ability to work with minimum supervision and under pressure, as a member of a work team
Very good knowledge of English and Spanish.
Demonstrated ability to effectively use a computer and utilize software programs such as Microsoft Office Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook. Other IT skills and knowledge of other software programs such as Visio, Microsoft SharePoint and Project would be an asset.