2019 Women for Africa Foundation (FMxA) Science by Women programme
Deadline: September 30, 2019.
Following the success of 1st four editions, the Women for Africa Foundation (FMxA), in line with its mission of contributing to the development of Africa through its women, is launching the 5th Edition of SCIENCE BY WOMEN programme, with the aim to promote African women’s leadership in scientific research and technology transfer and to foster the capacity of the research centres in their home countries. The main goal is to enable African women researchers and scientists to tackle the great challenges faced by Africa through research in health, agriculture and food security, water, energy and climate change, as well as mathematics and economic science.
Women’s lives are significantly affected by the repercussions of uncontrolled development; however, social, structural and economic barriers limit their capacity to tackle the great challenges faced by the continent. The gender disparities in science and technology in both the public and private spheres affect Africa’s population as a whole. Narrowing this gap, which has severe consequences on the balanced and sustainable development of African countries, is vital to achieve long-term progress and equal growing.
1. Being a woman
2. Nationality of an African country.
3. PhD with at least 3 years of post-doctoral professional experience
4. Contractual relationship with a university or a public or private non-profit organization based in Africa dedicated to significant scientific research in the areas indicated
5. Excellent academic record and proven track of relevant research experience
6. Solid working knowledge of English
7. Proven experience leading a research group
Successful candidates will have access to the following benefits:
• Return flight from their centre of origin to the host institution
• Living allowance of 2.400 Euros gross per month to cover accommodation, personal expense and health and occupational accident insurance coverage.
Only applications submitted in English via the Science by Women microsite at www.mujeresporafrica.es will be accepted. They must include the following documents:
• Letter of Interest (max. 1 page)
• Full curriculum vitae
• Fully filled form
• Passport or NID
• PhD Diploma
• Brief but concise description of the project to be developed in the Spanish host centre (max. 2 pages)