2019 VSO Nigeria ICS Volunteering Program for Nigerians.
Deadline: February 17, 2019.
VSO is the world’s leading international development organization whose vision is “A World without poverty”. Our approach to fighting poverty is through the lasting power of volunteering. VSO currently works in 24 countries across Africa, Asia and The Pacific.
The International Citizen Service (ICS) is a volunteering programme for 18-25 year olds, led by VSO and funded by the UK Government. ICS brings together young people from the UK and developing countries to volunteer in rural communities in Africa, Asia and Latin America for a period of 10 – 12 weeks. Presently, ICS projects in Nigeria center on Education and Livelihoods in communities in Enugu and Kwara State. Nigerian volunteers (In country Volunteers) work side-by-side with UK volunteers in these communities, staying with host families in the local community.
ICS is not a holiday. It is demanding but hugely rewarding. It is a great opportunity for personal development, a stepping-stone to future careers and a chance to make your world a better place.
VSO Nigeria is currently looking for motivated and passionate candidates to be a part of the next cycle of the ICS programme, which will run from April to July, 2019. If you believe you have the ambition to make a difference and meet all the above criteria, please proceed to the next page to begin your application process.
Volunteers will live and work in a community for 3 months.
- Volunteers will work alongside UK volunteers in a team.
- Volunteers will stay in a mixed pair of a UK volunteer and a Nigeria volunteer and will live with a local family (host home)
- Volunteers will work with community-based organisations
- All volunteers are required to complete an action at home on their return to promote awareness of international development issues
1. Any Nigerian who falls under the age bracket 18-25years
2. No skills or qualification are required to take part.
3. They look out for volunteers who are flexible, adaptable, team players, committed to learning and sensitive to the needs of others.
Becoming an ICS volunteer provides young people with an opportunity to:
- Learn more about how other people live and about themselves
- Gain experience and skills which will enhance their employability
- Do work which is of practical value to people in a developing country
- Develop skills, knowledge and attitudes, which will enable them to play a positive role in their individual society.
- Selected volunteers receive four days of training just before the start of the programme and further training in-country at the start of the programme.
VSO pays for the following:
- N2000 weekly allowance to the volunteers
- Host home allowance for host home to feed volunteers
- Transport allowance or arrange for transport in the case of group travels
- Medical and personal accident insurance (including emergency)