2019 USAID – Development Innovation Ventures Innovation Program
Development Innovation Ventures (DIV) is USAID’s open innovation program that tests and scales creative solutions to any global development challenge. By investing in breakthrough innovations driven by rigorous evidence, USAID impacts millions of lives at a fraction of the usual cost.
Open innovation inspires new solutions to the critical challenges affecting millions around the world. In the spirit of open innovation, DIV supports groundbreaking ideas to transform lives by providing flexible, tiered grant funding to test new ideas, take strategic risks, build evidence of what works, and advance the best solutions.
DIV funds innovations that demonstrate the three guiding principles: rigorous evidence of impact, cost-effectiveness, and a viable pathway to scale and sustainability.
accept proposals year-round from any type of organization, sector, and country in which USAID works at the following stages:
- STAGE 1: Proof of Concept (up to $200,000)
- STAGE 2: Testing and Positioning for Scale ($200,000 to $1,500,000)
- STAGE 3: Scaling ($1,500,000 to $5,000,000)
- Evidence Generation: (up to $1,500,000)
Almost anyone! DIV accepts applications from U.S. and non-U.S. organizations, nonprofit and for-profit entities, as long as the project is in a country where USAID provides funds to development efforts.
- DIV grantees have the opportunity to tap into an array of acceleration services, tools, and financing opportunities, including:
- Proof of Concept ideas can receive up to $200,000 in seed funding over 3 years
- Testing and Positioning for Scale applicants can get $200,000 to $1,500,000 in supporting grants for 3 years
- Scaling solutions can ask for $1,500,000 to $5,000,000 in investments over 5 years
- Flexible, patient grant funding
- Dedicated grant manager
- Acceleration services
- Strategic marketing
- Sales Strategy
- USAID network
- Connections to partners
- All interested organizations must submit an application through this application portal. Applications submitted via post or email will not be reviewed.
- Your application will be considered under all of the mechanisms at DIV’s disposal. Please review the Annual Program Statement and DIV reference material onusaid.gov/div.
- Please submit one application per project team. For your reference, you may download a Word version of the application so that you may work on it offline or collaborate with your team members.