2019 United Nations Barbados and OECS Human Rights Day 2019 Photo Contest
Deadline: November 1, 2019.
Human Rights Day provides an opportunity to reflect on the principles enshrined in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights which empowers us all to take action in our own daily lives against all forms of discrimination and to uphold the rights that protect us all thereby promoting the kinship of all human beings.
As photography is a powerful medium of expression that can be used to communicate strong messages about a subject, this contest seeks to inspire action through imagery. Persons are requested to capture a photo that depicts what “Leaving No One Behind” means in the human rights context of their countries- exploring themes of anti-discrimination and inclusion.
- Entrants must be citizens of one of the following countries: Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Barbados, British Virgin Islands, Commonwealth of Dominica, Grenada, Montserrat, Saint Lucia, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
- The contest is open to youth aged 10-25 years.
- Entrants of all skill levels are invited to participate.
1. Prizes to be awarded are as follows:
1st prize: $500 USD
2nd prize: $250 USD
3rd prize: $100 USD
2. Prizes will be presented by the UN Resident Coordinator during a ceremony on Human Rights Day 2019 (Dec. 10) in Barbados followed by a press release announcing the results.
3. All entries will be exhibited.
4. The UN Barbados and OECs office will cover awardees travel costs for those living outside of Barbados.
- One (1) submission per person can be made.
- Entries must be saved in jpeg or png format.
- Photos can be taken with any device (camera, phone etc.)
- Photos must have been taken in the Caribbean.
- Entries must be submitted digitally via the submission form on this link.
- Submission form includes entry title and 150 (max) word description on how the photo reflects the theme of “Leaving no one behind”.
Photographs will be judged by a multi-agency panel. This is to ensure content meets the guidelines as described. Photos will be evaluated on the following criteria:
- Originality and style;
- Creativity/visual appeal;
- Extent to which the photograph captures the essence of the theme;
- The photograph must meet the guidelines, terms and conditions of the contest.