2019 UNESCO Legal Officer Vacancy in Paris
Deadline: April 7, 2019.
Within the general mandate of the Office of Legal Standards and international Affairs to provide legal advice to the Secretariat and the governing bodies of the Organization, under the overall authority of the Director of the Office, the incumbent will be required to carry out the following duties and responsibilities:
- Drafting legal opinions and undertaking research and studies and examining legal precedents for issues relating to the functions, structure and activities of the Organization. Such issues may bear upon the general field or upon specialized aspects of constitutional, international, public, private and administrative law. Studies undertaken generally pertain to intricate and/or sensitive areas. Drafting interpretations of legal instruments, such as constitutions, statutes, treaties, agreements, regulations and rules, resolutions or other legal materials relevant to the Organization.
- Drafting appropriate opinions and other relevant correspondance on a wide variety of legal problems which can arise prior or during the execution of the Organization’s programme, e.g concerning the conclusion or amendments of contracts, difficulties encountered in ensuring their satisfactory execution, possible remedies to be envisaged, etc.
- Drafting and revising documents to be submitted to the Organization’s governing bodies; the General Conference and the Executive Board. Studying and evaluating all files and documents submitted for decision, evaluation and signature, in addition to preparing complete files on issues under consideration.
- Assisting the Director in all questions pertaining to the administration of the Office (working methods, personnel, finance etc.).
- Advanced university degree (Master degree or equivalent) in law.
- Minimum 4 years of relevant professional experience in an intergovernmental organization (or such an organization, combined with similar experience in a governmental, non-profit organization or law firm).
- Relevant experience acquired in an international environment.
- Good analytical skills.
- Proven ability to draft clearly and concisely.
- Capacity to work independently.
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Good Interpersonal skills.
Excellent knowledge of English and French