2019 UK Government International Tech Hub Network Go Global Africa for Startups
Deadline: January 30, 2019.
Did you know that the UK has produced 1 in 5 of the continent’s billion-dollar tech unicorns and is home to the big European tech investors, with 7 of Europe’s 10 leading unicorn venture capital hunter funds?
Did you know it is a magnet for tech talent with 1 in 5 international movers choosing the UK, 4 out of the top 10 global universities based in the UK, and more than 2.1 million people working in the digital economy?
The UK Government’s Department for Digital, Culture, Media & Sport is launching a
new International Tech Hub Network in 2019, in partnership with the British High
Commission in Kenya, Nigeria and South Africa. The hubs are one pillar of a broader
Digital Access Programme which aims to catalyse digital inclusion across Africa.
They are currently accepting applications from companies based in Kenya, Nigeria and South Africa who meet the following criteria:
1. Post MVP stage with a live product in the market
2. Demonstrable evidence of some customer traction
3. Have not raised more than £2m of investment
4. Active in fields aimed to create a better future for Africa, with a specific focus
on Transport, Energy, Water, Connectivity, Digital Health, Fintech and Agritech.
5. Led by a founder/s who have a strong sense of commitment and drive to
strengthen the local ecosystem for other start-ups to grow and thrive by passing
on the learning from this opportunity to their communities and acting as future
champions of the Tech Hub’s work.
6. Ambitions to expand regionally and internationally in the future.
1. This is a unique opportunity to collaborate with the UK to take your startup to the next level.
2. Go Global has been designed to prepare post Minimum Viable Product (MVP)
startups for the next stage with a focus on enhancing business skills; experiential
learning through peer to peer engagements with other start-ups in the UK
ecosystem; and key learnings around how to think about and tackle a future global
3. They cover Travel costs, accommodations and most meals.
1. Create a basic 60 second video pitch explaining your product and value
proposition (camera facing, not narrated) and how you will use this opportunity to
benefit your startup and community.
2. Upload your video pitch to YouTube. Please note that the person who features in
the video pitch must be the representative who will travel to the UK should your
application be successful- This video assesses your presentation skills.
3.Fill out the form