2019 Uganda Press Photo Award for Ugandan Photojournalists & Photographers
Deadline: August 1, 2019.
The Uganda Press Photo Award(UPPA) was conceived with support from the Foreign Correspondents’ Association of Uganda and the Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung in 2012 as a competition for Ugandan photojournalists and photographers who work hard and sometimes take great risks so the rest of us can stay informed about what is happening. The award’s aim is to promote the best of today’s photojournalism in Uganda, supporting visual literacy as well as encouraging a new generation of photographers by focusing on photographic education through our programmes.
The Uganda Press Photo Award (UPPA) invites all Ugandan photojournalists and photographers to participate in the 8th annual photography competition.
Submissions can be entered in six categories:
- Daily Life: Images documenting the extraordinary in ordinary, or showing a new perspective on everyday life.
- Environment: Images of nature and images documenting the impact man is having on the natural world.
- News: Images covering news topics and current affairs.
- People: Images, including portraits, that show a person’s likeness, personality and character in their environment.
- Sports: Images of everything sports-related: sporting events, sports stars or even a village football match.
- Urban: Images documenting the fast changing landscapes in our surroundings brought on by urban development,be it on the streets, in architecture, or in changing or emerging ways of life.
- The Ugandan Press Photo Award will accept published and unpublished photographs.
- The contest is restricted to Ugandan citizens, 18 years of age or older.
- All entries must have been taken between September 1st 2018 and August 1st 2019, and must be submitted by August 1st 2019. This will be confirmed via EXIF data.
- Each entrant can submit up to 3 single images for 3 different categories..
- Entry is free.
- In each category, the jury will select 1st, 2nd, and 3rd photograph(s). Prizes will be awarded for each place.
The winner will take home a professional camera, the Canon EOS 5D Mark IV, which will come with an EF 24-70mm lens, as well as the opportunity to showcase their work in our annual exhibition which features some of the best visual storytellers Uganda has to offer. Prizes will also be awarded in all other categories.