2019 Thomson Reuters Foundation Report Workshop on Illicit Financing in Africa
Deadline: November 6, 2019.
The Thomson Reuters Foundation seeks journalists based anywhere in Africa who are motivated to understand how their country may be losing money through illicit means.
The Wealth of Nations program is a long-term commitment and participating journalists must commit to all elements of the program by signing an agreement to that effect. These elements include:
- Intensive training in illicit financing reporting
- The first workshop will take place from Monday, December 2, to Friday, December 6, 2019, in Maputo.
- Selected participants will be invited to a follow-up workshop in early 2020.
- The production of reports or investigations into illicit financial flows
- A mentoring and support program that will help produce these stories
They are looking for:
- Journalists with a minimum of two years of professional experience.
- It will be beneficial if you are familiar with investigative journalism and finance reporting and / or, more generally, have some experience in economic journalism, but if you have a strong motivation to know and understand these issues, we will consider your application.
- Must be available to spend a significant amount of time working on reporting or investigating illicit financing.
- Applications are open to independent journalists and board journalists. Journalists working for a news organization must obtain permission from their editor-in-chief to participate. Independent journalists must provide proof that one or more media outlets are willing to accept their work.
- Journalists working in one or more media may also apply (print, digital, radio or television).
- Journalists must be established in Africa and work for one or more media.
- Candidate journalists must speak Portuguese fluently.
1. Successful applicants will receive a grant that will cover expenses for air travel (tourist class), accommodation, local travel and meals.
2. If selected for the mentoring program, the maximum grant we can award for the reporting is $ 1000. Please note that the grants awarded vary depending on the expected resources required to write the report. Proposed costs without a detailed justification will not be considered.
- Two examples of published articles
- A letter from your editor-in-chief authorizing you to participate and confirming that you will publish any report produced through the program.