2019 Technology Innovation Agency Grassroots Innovation Programme Call for Proposals in South Africa
Deadline: February 8, 2019.
Technology Innovation Agency (TIA) is seeking proposals for its Grassroots Innovation Programme which is a targeting grassroots innovators who require funding to develop and prototype their technology innovations up to pre-commercialisation.
A grassroots innovator is defined as “an individual who undertakes innovations to solve local challenges using local resources and capabilities through working outside the realm of formal innovation institutions”.
- The programme is targeting South African citizens with preference to youth, women, and persons with disabilities.
- Applications will be assessed against the following criteria:
- The application must be at concept design/early proof of concept, that is pre-revenue, and with less than R100 000 In previous external Investment;
- The technology is novel and addresses market or social need;
- A working prototype and proof of concept Is technologically and financially viable and uses sustainable design and production methods and materials;
- A clear market need has been identified;
- Whether the Innovation addresses a real social challenge and is flexible to conditions (geography, locality, etc.); and
- Whether a vision for the commercialization viability of the Innovation has been articulated.
- Grant funding for the proposed innovation including:
- IP Support;
- Product and technical development expertise, design, infrastructure & hard/software materials, & manufacturing;
- Business development support;
- Networking, mentorship and market access activities;
- Industry compliance and certification.
- Incubation support for a minimum period of 12 months.
- Development and production of fully functional prototypes
- Specialised equipment to enable innovation activities
- Introduction of proof of concept where a viable business case is demonstrated
Completed applications must be submitted on the Grassroots Innovation application portal www.tia.org/gip or you may deliver completed application forms to TIA House, 83 Lois Avenue Pretoria or e-mail: email@example.com