2019 School for Social Entrepreneurs Fellowship Programme
You’ve got an idea for a project that helps other people or the environment. How do you get it up and running? That’s where we come in. We support you as you start up a social enterprise, charity or business to help people.
You come along for practical learning – no textbooks in sight! – for one or two days a month, between May 2019 and January 2020. We’ll take you through all the key steps as you turn your idea into a real organisation. We’ll help you develop the skills, strengths and networks you need.
You don’t need any educational qualifications for our Fellowship Programme, based in London. We welcome people from all backgrounds, including long-term unemployed, ex-offenders, and people with disabilities.There’s no long-winded application forms or scary interviews. The first step is to come along to a workshop to see if this might be for you.
We can’t fix issues like poverty, climate change and ill-health alone. That’s why the School for Social Entrepreneurs exists. We help 1,000 people a year develop the skills, strengths and networks they need to tackle society’s biggest problems. We run courses that equip people to start, scale and strengthen organisations that make a positive difference. But we’re not a traditional school. Learning with SSE is inspiring, action-based and accessible. We support in others ways too, such as funding and mentoring. Lord Michael Young founded SSE in 1997, and we’ve grown to a network of schools across the UK, Canada and India. Together, we’re changing lives and transforming communities.
This programme could be right for you if:
- You’ve got an idea for how to tackle a social or environmental problem
- You want to turn your idea into a business or charity, and have thought about how it could make money
- You’re talking to people about how your start-up could work – though you don’t need to have registered it or officially started up yet
- You like learning by doing, in a practical way
- You’d enjoy getting to know people from different backgrounds
- You can commit to one to three days per month, from May 2019 to January 2020
You’ll learn how to become a confident leader and make an impact. We’ll help you develop the skills you’ll need to be successful, like:
- business skills (how to manage finances, business planning, measuring your impact & more)
- accessing funding and winning clients
- how to sell your idea and build support
- learning from failure and building resilience
You’ll get 20 days of learning & support, spread out over nine months. Every day is about hands-on learning from those who’ve been there and done it. We’re definitely not about taking tests or doing homework! We give you practical knowledge to turn your idea into a reality.
You’ll be part of a group of around 15 people starting up projects like yours. You’ll work through problems and challenges together. We’ll also connect you with two mentors for one-on-one support.