2019 OIST Research Internship Program at OIST Graduate School
Deadline: October 15, 2019.
The OIST Graduate School offers education and research opportunities through a system of undergraduate and graduate placements as Research Interns. These 2-6 month placements give the opportunity to gain experience in a particular laboratory or to learn a specific technique. Interns work under the direction of a Professor at OIST and contribute to the research activities of OIST. Specific assignment of duties is at the discretion of the PI, and is subject to change.
1. Those eligible to apply for the OIST Research Internship Program include excellent students enrolled in undergraduate or Masters programs in universities, colleges, junior colleges, and vocational schools in Japan or overseas, or recent graduates of such institutions.
2. Currently enrolled students must have approval from their home institution. Academic background of applicants should be appropriate to their desired host unit(s) at OIST.
3. Graduate School funded internships are highly competitive and are only awarded to outstanding applicants who are in the final 2 years of their academic program, or are recent graduates within the past year before the application deadline.
4. In some cases, additional internship positions may be offered directly by OIST faculty to other outstanding applicants, particularly for those with highly-developed skills relevant to the group’s research.
1. Allowance: OIST provides living allowance, commuting support where necessary, and accommodation either on campus or nearby. Successful applicants will receive a Living Allowance of 2,400 JPY per day (weekends excluded) while at OIST.
2. Travel Expenses: OIST will pay for one direct roundtrip travel for Research Interns between the home university or institution and the research unit or other facility where the internship will take place (primarily in Okinawa). The travel dates must be as close as possible to the term of the placement. Travel for successful applicants is arranged by the OIST Graduate School.
3. Other Support: The Student Support Section of the Graduate School will provide support for Research Interns at OIST with matters such as housing, visa acquisition, insurance procedures, and local registration. OIST regrets that support for dependents, family members, and persons other than the student is not available.