2019 North-South Centre of the Council of Europe Call for Participants: Strengthening Youth Capacities for Peace and Security
Deadline: August 18, 2019.
The North-South Centre of the Council of Europe is promoting a capacity-building course on democratic participation for youth organisations working on human rights and peacebuilding in the Euro-Mediterranean region. The course will take place in the framework of the 20th University for Peace and Development (UYD).
The training course “Strengthening youth capacities for peace and security” will build up the capacities of experienced youth peacebuilders and young human rights activists in the field of advocacy, political participation, conflict transformation and Prevention of Violent Extremism, enabling them also to use human rights mechanisms and reporting tools to address injustice and transform conflicts.
The outcomes and the recommendations of the Lisbon Forum 2018 and the quadrilogue seminar organised in the framework of the 7th University on Youth and Global Citizenship pointed out common challenges: the need to strengthen youth capacities in terms of knowledge and competences to better interact with institutional counterparts, to build alliances and to better use human-right tools and mechanisms.
The training course will bring together 20 experienced representatives, multipliers and young leaders from organisations working in peacebuilding or human rights in the Euro-med region.
Candidates will be considered for the selection phase on the basis of the following eligibility criteria to be fulfilled by the deadline for applications:
1. Be citizens of one of the 47 Council of Europe member States or of the Southern Mediterranean Countries.
2. Be an active member of an youth-led or youth-related organisation engaged in peacebuilding or human rights activities at a local, regional, national or international level.
3. Be aged 18-35 years.
4. Be able to fluently communicate in English
5. Be able to attend the course for its entire duration.
Candidates selected on the basis of the above eligibility criteria will then be evaluated according to the following selection criteria, which must be clearly specified in the candidate’s application form:
1. Experience in advocacy work, youth participation and democratic processes
2. Be active in the field of Euro-Mediterranean youth cooperation
3. Be able to apply the gained competences and to implements follow-up activities within a structured organization which has youth as main target group and peace and security among the objectives.
1. Arrivals of participants are expected on 15 September and departures on 22 May September.
2. The North-South Centre will issue pre-paid round-trip flight tickets from the country of residence of the selected participants to Malaga Airport (Spain).
3. The North-South Centre will also ensure transfers from and to the airport/train station to the training venue.
4. It is expected that participants/supporting organisations assume expenses related to local transport in the home country, as well as visa costs.
5. The board and lodging for the full duration of the training course is covered.
6. Participants will be accommodated in shared rooms (double or triple).
7. Please carefully look for information regarding the visa needs you might have to attend the activity