2019 Mwalimu Nyerere African Union Scholarship For Refugees and Displaced Persons in Africa
Deadline: April 30, 2019.
The Mwalimu Nyerere African Union Scholarship Scheme was launched in 2007 with
the aim to contribute in the production and retention of high level African human
resources for sustainable development of the continent in critical development areas,
while promoting regional integration through intra-Africa mobility of students. The
Scholarship Scheme is intended to enable young Africans to study in reputable African Universities with a binding agreement that beneficiaries will work in any African country for at least the same duration of scholarship period after graduation.
To be eligible for the Scholarship, a candidate must:
i. Be a Citizen of an African Union Member State.
ii. Be a formally registered refugee/displaced person with a UNHCR registration
number or be able to demonstrate confirmed refugee status in an African Union
iii. Be under the age of thirty five (35) years.
iv. Be a holder of a Bachelor’s Degree in the relevant field, at least at the level of
Upper Second Class Honours. The degree must be from a recognised University.
v. Have demonstrated outstanding academic achievement as evidenced by
academic transcripts, and academic awards if any.
vi. Have proof of admission to undertake a full time Masters programme in a
recognised university in an African Union Member State.
vii. Be willing to commit to work in an African Union Member State on completion of
studies for at least three (3) years.
viii. The following fields of study are eligible: Natural Sciences, Agriculture, Health,
Education, Engineering, and Social Sciences.
The scholarship award covers the following:
1. Tuition Fees: According to an official invoice from the Host University.
2. Stipend: 500 US$ monthly, to support living expenses such as housing, food, utilities,local transportation and medication.
3. Book Allowance: An allowance of 500 US$ per year for the purchase of books.
Air ticket: A round-trip economy fare (as applicable).
4. Travel Allowance:
• One-off payment of 250 US$ to contribute towards ground transportation and
• One-off payment of 350 US$ to assist with shipping and other terminal
expenses upon departure from the host Institution after successful completion of the study.
5. Computer Allowance: One-off payment of 1,000 US$ for the purchase of laptop
computer and accessories
1. Interested candidates can apply on-line using the link www.edu-au.org/scholarship
2. They can submit their applications by post after completing the Scholarship Application Form, which is available on the Africa Union website:
3. The application documents should include the following:
i. Completed application form
ii. A proof of refugee/displaced person status, indicating citizenship
iii. Recent passport-size photograph
iv. CV indicating applicant’s academic background and work experience
v. Certified copies of academic certificates and transcripts
vi. Copy of admission letter from a recognised African University
vii. Two (2) Reference Letters with contact addresses and telephone numbers.
viii. A Letter of Motivation of not more than 500 words (maximum 2 pages) that
explains why the candidate has chosen the particular field of study and its
importance to Africa’s development