2019 Monash Sustainable Development Institute Green Steps Competition for Monash students
Deadline: March 18, 2019.
Green Steps is an award-winning sustainability leadership program run by Monash Sustainable Development Institute. The program offers innovative and practical sustainability training and consultancy projects for ambitious emerging leaders at Monash University. Over the past 17 years, the extra-curricular program has transformed lives, launched careers and most importantly, created a network of leaders who are now working in organisations to make the world a more sustainable place to live.
Each year we offer 30 fully-funded places to selected Monash students from across a diverse range of faculties and disciplines. As part of the program, students will gain the skills and knowledge to transform attitudes and drive change for a more just, sustainable and resilient world.
- Engage in interactive, group-based learning
- Build your personal and professional leadership capabilities
- Practice your skills and develop solutions to real-world sustainability problems
- Be part of a select cohort of emerging sustainability leaders at Monash
The program involves:
1. Online sustainability challenge: As part of the application process, you’ll take part in Take One Step, an online platform that challenges you to take an action towards sustainability. Once you’ve posted a step, we’ll also ask you to submit an application form, with a short video of yourself.
2. Training: Selected students will participate in five days of hands-on sustainability training across two weekends.
3. Sustainability consultancy project: Following the training, apply for a 20-hour team-based consultancy role undertaking a sustainability-related project at Monash University Green Steps
Due to the introductory nature of Green Steps, the program is best suited to students who have little to no knowledge in sustainability. We select students with a diversity of skills and career aspirations because, for the world to be sustainable, we need change agents working in all types of organisations and industries. The program is especially designed for those who:
- Have a passion for the environment, social justice and sustainability regardless of whether they have experience or are studying in this field
- Are committed to furthering their skills in sustainability and leadership
- Would like to gain hands-on experience by working on a real consultancy project
- Want to be part of a growing global network of sustainability change agents
Green Steps is open to all current Monash University students however preference is given to students in their final years of study. The program is run once a year at both Monash University (Clayton) and Monash University Malaysia.
1. The five day training, spread over several weeks, draws on expertise and guest speakers from across Monash Sustainable Development Institute, including from ClimateWorks, BehaviourWorks and the Oxfam-Monash Partnership.
2. The training component also includes a visit to the site of Monash’s Net Zero Initiative, the University’s ambitious program to have our Australian campuses using 100 per cent renewable power and net zero emissions by 2030.