2019 IWMF Howard G. Buffett Fund for Women Journalists
Deadline: September 3, 2019.
The Howard G. Buffett Fund for Women Journalists, the first funding initiative of its kind, enables the IWMF to dramatically expand its support of women journalists. Established with a $4 million gift from the Howard G. Buffett Foundation, the Fund supports projects including educational opportunities, investigative reporting and media development initiatives.
- Women journalists from anywhere in the world are eligible to apply.
- Applicants must identify as women.
- Practicing journalism must be the applicants primary profession.
- Applicants must have three or more years of post-graduate professional journalism experience.
- Teams of journalists may apply, however the submission must be from a woman journalist and her team must include at least 50% women.
- Special consideration will be given to freelance journalists.
Approximately $230,000 will be dispersed each year. Grant sizes will depend on the proposal and the inclusion of a detailed budget.
The fund was designed to help women journalists from around the world by providing grantees support to:
- Expose under-reported but critical global issues
- Undertake ambitious projects that challenge traditional media narratives
- Develop field-based expertise and strengthen careers
- Pursue critical skills training and leadership opportunities
- Launch entrepreneurial news projects or acquire the skill to do so