2019 Innovate Green Competition for Middle East & North Africa Students
Deadline: February 9, 2019.
The Innovate Green Competition (IGC) is a cooperative initiative that aims to stimulate and unleash entrepreneurship and innovation within university students in the Middle East and North Africa. The competition will provide the students with an opportunity to make a positive impact on society by addressing environmental issues through social and technological innovation, whilst contributing to their own economic benefit.
The competition is jointly organised by the United Nations Environment West Asia Regional Office and the United Nations Industrial Development Organisation (UNIDO), Investment Technology and Promotions Office (ITPO) Bahrain, and through the sponsorship of The First Energy Bank, with a focus on “Achieving the SDGs through Entrepreneurship & Innovation”.
- Environmental sustainability, outlined by the UN sustainable development goals (SDGs 6, 11, 12, 13, 14 and 15)
- Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure, as highlighted on SDG 9
- Gender Equality in Manufacturing and the role of women entrepreneurship (SDG 5)
- Green Chemistry, to eliminate or reduce the use or generation of hazardous substances across the lifecycle of a product
- Circular Economy; through practices such as, designing waste out of products, using waste as a resource, or through the repair, reuse, remanufacture, refurbishment of products and materials to maintain value in the economy
1. Individuals or groups of up to 3 university students with innovative solutions addressing environmental challenges, in any commercial stage (from concept to established business).
2. Female students are strongly encouraged to apply (all applicants must be at least 18 years of age).
3. Participants must be from Middle East & North Africa.
1. One member from each of the top three teams will be awarded during the 4th UN Environment Assembly (UNEA-4) to be held in Nairobi, Kenya, from March 11th to 15th 2019.
2. The top three winners will receive the following prizes:
1ST Place: A cash prize of USD 10,000
2nd Place: A cash prize of USD 7,000
3rd Place: A cash prize of USD 3,000
3. In addition to that, a team member from the top three teams/applicants will be sponsored (Economy ticket and Accommodation) to attend and take part in the 4th UN Environment Assembly in Nairobi, Kenya.
4. All three winning teams/ applicants will additionally be rewarded with:
- An official certificate from the UN Environment and UNIDO ITPO Bahrain
- Increased visibility for their initiative through the various partners and supporters
- Access to UNIDO ITPO Bahrain’s EDIP program and entrepreneurs
5. The top 25 applicants will be provided the following:
An online EDIP boot camp run by UNIDO ITPO Bahrain (AICEI).