2019 ICFJ Knight Fellowships Program and Research Assistant Recruitment
The International Center for Journalists, a nonprofit organization based in Washington, DC, is seeking a full-time Program and Research Assistant to support ICFJ’s flagship program, the ICFJ Knight Fellowships. The Program and Research Assistant reports to the ICFJ Knight Fellowships Deputy Director and plays an important role to help the Knight staff and Knight Fellows lead projects designed to instill a culture of news innovation and experimentation in Latin America, Asia and Africa, and other regions, as assigned.
• Coordinating the nomination and review processes for ICFJ’s Knight International Journalism Awards;
• Coordinating the application process for ICFJ Knight Fellows and assisting with their orientation programs.
• Assisting on selected Fellowship projects and communications with Fellows or partners pertaining to these activities.
• Maintaining and updating program databases, especially Salesforce.
• Collect, organize and sometimes visualize information for program reports.
• Occasionally updating @ICFJKnight and ICFJ Knight Facebook social media accounts.
• Assisting with web production and content updates for ICFJ Knight program pages and stories.
• Assisting with program finances as needed, including processing expense reports, generating contracts and payment requests for fellows, consultants and sub-grantees.
• Communicating and liaising with vendors, clients, sub-grantees and consultants.
• Providing logistical support to ICFJ Knight Fellows, trainers and staff including international and domestic travel and accommodations.
• Contributing to written or multimedia content about the work of the Knight Fellowships as time allows. (Examples may include helping create a video about the program to be used in presentations or online, or producing multimedia or written articles for ICFJ.org or IJNet.).
• Performing other administrative tasks as needed.
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited academic institution.
• Minimum of one year of experience working in a professional office environment.
• Strong, proven organizational skills.
• Track record of paying close attention to detail.
• Demonstrated interest in media and journalism.
• Demonstrated experience related to the responsibilities and competencies listed below
• Proficiency in MS Office (especially MS Word and MS Excel).
• Proficiency in Google Drive and other cloud-based management systems;, experience with Salesforce or other database experience is a plus
• Professional Knowledge: Fluent in English and professional proficiency in Spanish; Understanding of basic accounting and maintenance of financial records and databases, and coordinating logistics; Interest in journalism and international development
• Quality Orientation: Ability to perform with high attention to detail, ensuring accuracy and thoroughness when accomplishing tasks.
• Self-Management: Ability to prioritize and adjust to changes with exceptional organizational skills to accomplish work goals and meet deadlines; and work under an appropriate level of supervision, both independently and as a team member in a diverse, fast-paced environment.
• Critical Thinking: Ability to think critically, anticipate issues and find solutions with minimal guidance.
• Communication: Ability to communicate ideas clearly and effectively in verbal and written form to a variety of audiences; effectively engage with staff and a diverse range of stakeholders; and respond in a timely manner to requests.
• Digital Skills: General knowledge of computer software and accounting systems; and ability to effectively use computer software and tools to increase efficiency at work.
1. The position will be open until filled. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
2. Applicants should submit a resume, cover letter which explains why you’re interested in using your skills to support international journalism using this form: https://www.tfaforms.com/4749096.