2019 ICFJ Communications Coordinator Vacancy
ICFJ is looking for a motivated and digital savvy professional to join our communications team and work with us to tell ICFJ’s story. This is an exciting opportunity for a self-starter who wants to apply his or her communications skills – particularly in digital media – to advance journalism.
Candidates should be enthusiastic, efficient and collaborative. Good storytelling and writing skills, in addition to experience with communications, are required. An interest in journalism and/or international affairs is strongly suggested. Applicants should exhibit a spirit of teamwork.
Duties include leading on ICFJ’s social media presence, developing digital content, managing production on ICFJ.org and other communications tasks. The Communications Coordinator works closely with the Director of Communications, Vice President of Development, program staff and interns where applicable.
Digital (social media, website, email newsletter)
- Expand ICFJ’s social media presence, developing and executing data-driven strategies and campaigns in coordination with the Director of Communications
- Produce engaging material for social media (e.g. graphics, videos, photo slideshows, posts, etc.)
- Track and share social media analytics using multiple tools
- Coordinate content production for ICFJ.org, publishing stories and training staff on editorial standards
- Write short stories for the news section of the website
- Edit content (social media, web content)
- Manage website upgrades, relationship with website vendor
- Produce ICFJ’s internal newsletter
- Support production of ICFJ newsletter and manage mailing list
- Produce visual materials using Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator for the website, social media posts and for printed materials
- Manage the production of printed materials for ICFJ, upholding brand standards
- Design presentations for staff use
- Support ICFJ events, especially our annual Awards Dinner. Work with the development team on event planning, production of online and printed materials, publicizing events and coordinating tech needs as needed.
- Produce live social media coverage of ICFJ events
- Perform other administrative tasks as needed
- You have 2-5 years of professional experience, with a bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism or a related field.
- You are digitally savvy – a natural at social media who loves to experiment with the latest storytelling tools and thinks strategically about engagement. You’ve applied these skills to running social media for an organization.
- Writing is a strength of yours, and you have a detailed eye for editing
- You have a good eye for visuals, and the skills to use design software (ideally Adobe Creative Suite) to edit photos and create compelling social graphics
- You’d have no problem filming a journalist we work with, and editing the video for social
- You thrive in working with people and as part of a team, and are skilled at coordinating projects involving many stakeholders
- You are comfortable managing multiple tasks, while maintaining a strong attention to detail. You take pride in your work.
- You have a strong interest in communications, and are passionate about advancing quality journalism.
It is a plus if you:
- Have managed an organization’s social media presence
- Have experience managing vendors
- Know AP Style
- Are bilingual (especially Spanish)
- Are skilled at photography
- Have experience with Adobe Creative Suite, Google Ad Words, MailChimp, Drupal
Submit a cover letter and resume, in addition to one sample each of: a story you’ve written, a visual you designed and a social media post that you produced. Apply here.