2019 Google News Initiative Newsroom Leadership Program for Asia-Pacific Emerging Newsroom Leaders
Deadline: June 26, 2019.
The program aims to enhance the leadership skills and nimble decision-making capacity of emerging newsroom leaders in the Asia-Pacific region, with particular focus on applied technology, audience-centric behaviors, design thinking, data applications, understanding business models and editorial innovation.
Fellows will gain skills and knowledge to make better strategic decisions for their newsrooms and audiences. Each Fellow will also work on a specific project during the year that is relevant to their newsroom within the main fellowship topics: technology, monetization and data.
The program emphasizes:
- Building a practical understanding of how news companies around the world —large and small, legacy and start-up—actually operate as businesses, and how technology has revolutionized what it means to be a news publisher.
- Developing a framework for evaluating the costs and benefits of introducing technology-driven changes into workflows and resourcing, and how to create and manage a plan for change management within the organization.
- Leveraging data and the latest technology to create compelling content and understand audiences, while thinking about publishing “products” when putting together journalism packages.
- Learning how to facilitate design-thinking in newsrooms using Google’s design sprint methodology, which is used to solve problems and develop products, as the initial step for developing their project.
1. Successful applicants are emerging newsroom leaders working full-time in editorial positions at news organizations headquartered in the Asia-Pacific, and are endorsed by their employers.
2. The program is rigorous, with lectures and speakers, reading and written assignments conducted in English, with no translation.
The program is free of charge for successful applicants. Travel, lodging, meals and visa fees will also be paid for by the Google News Initiative.
The application(link is external) includes:
- A completed Google Form with personal details
- One professional goals essay
- One letter of recommendation from a current colleague or manager who can speak to the applicant’s current role, professional achievements and capabilities.
- A letter of endorsement from the applicant’s employer, including one signed by at least two members of senior management from different departments (editorial, business, product) in the news organization, attesting to allowing paid leave for the applicant to participate in the four-week on-site components of the program and endorsement of the individual project area/ issue that the applicant will work on for the duration of the fellowship.
- Articulation of the individual project that you want to focus on during the year.
All application materials must be submitted by the applicant in a Google Document and linked in the Google Form(link is external) by June 26, 2019.