2019 Google News Initiative Fellowship
Deadline: April 1, 2019.
The Google News Initiative Fellowship connects students who want to explore the intersection between journalism and technology with news organisations.
The successful candidates will kick off their careers in the news industry by spending their summer working with experts in newsrooms and creating a professional network.
In 2019 the European Journalism Centre offers 40 fellowship placements in 11 European countries. The GNI Fellowship is funded by the Google News Initiative and is also available worldwide.
1. The GNI Fellowship is for students who are enrolled in or accepted for an accredited higher education institution in the same country as their newsroom of choice. This includes undergraduate, master, and PhD students.
2. They accept both full-time and part-time students, as long as the candidate is enrolled in an accredited higher education institution as of 1 January 2019. It is the individual student’s responsibility to ensure that he or she is legally permitted to work in the country where he or she applies.
3. You may only apply to one organisation.
4. You must be 18 years of age or older as of 1 January 2019 to be eligible for the 2019 GNI Fellowship.
5. Open to international student as long as you are enrolled in a higher education institution based in the country of the newsroom you choose to apply for.
All the fellows will be remunerated for their work and to help cover expenses. The exact amount will be at the discretion of each news organisation.