2019 Future Global Leaders Fellowship
DEADLINE: January 31, 2019.
The Future Global Leaders Fellowship annually selects the world’s top first-generation university students and, over the course of a 3-year program, primes them for induction into the Fortis Society – the world’s first private network of diverse leaders committed to one another’s success and to a better world.
Only extremely ambitious, first-year university students from humble backgrounds who have demonstrated high resilience and have achieved academic excellence should apply to the FGL Fellowship. These students must be determined to become powerful global leaders and understand that the magnitude of their impact on the world is directly linked to the amount of power and influence they accumulate.
Upon completion of the program, FGL Fellows are inducted into the Fortis Society – the world’s first private network of diverse leaders committed to one another’s success and to a better world. The goal of the Fortis Society is to connect future leaders – united by their merit, not privilege – by creating a formidable global network through which they will help each other reach the highest levels of success, power, and global influence in order to positively impact the world.
The Fellowship provides FGL Fellows with many invaluable opportunities. It aims to foster the development of Fellows and to prepare them for induction into the Fortis Society..
1. LEADERSHIP TRAINING
The summer after their freshman year, FGL Fellows complete an intensive three-week training with the National Outdoor Leadership School in the US. Together they are taught a rigorous leadership curriculum and build strong relationships by overcoming extreme physical/mental challenges in the wild. NOLS alumni include NASA teams, Fortune 500 teams, and Wharton/Harvard MBA’s.
2. HIGH LEVEL MENTORSHIP
FGL Fellows work with us to identify and secure a high-level leader in their field who will become their mentor for three years. FGL Mentors provide personal insights into what it takes to reach the highest levels of success and help expand Fellows’ networks.
3.GLOBAL INTERNSHIP FUNDING
FLF does not match FGL Fellows with internships. Fellows secure a top-tier internship abroad (i.e. outside of their country of birth, heritage, and residence) and we provide customized coaching and funding to cover internship costs not met by the host company/scholarships. Fellows have previously secured internships in 30+ countries at companies like Goldman Sachs, Facebook, Google, UN, Grameen Bank, BNP Paribas, US Embassies, Clinton Foundation, etc.
Applicants must be first-year university students and must fit the following eligibility criteria:
- First-Generation or Low-Income University Student – students who do not have a family history of higher education, or who come from a low-income background.
- Track Record of Academic Excellence – throughout high school and during the first months of the current school year.
- Proven Leadership Abilities – through self-started initiatives and ventures, or leadership in their schools or communities.
In addition to our eligibility criteria, our Admissions Committee will consider the following qualities:
- Contagious Charisma and Unyielding Strength of Character – two common and essential traits in all leaders.
- Resilience and Guts – demonstrated through having overcome hardship.
- Inexhaustible Global Ambition – along with a realistic strategy, the ability to execute, and the willingness to sacrifice and take risks to achieve extraordinary success.
- Altruism – demonstrated through the willingness to enact major positive change, upon having reached the highest level of power and influence.
- A Strong Desire to Join the Fortis Society – upon completion of the 3-year Fellowship.