2019 French Government Human Rights Prize of the French Republic
Deadline: October 14, 2019.
Applications are now open for the 2019 “Liberty, Equality, Fraternity” Human Rights Prize of the French Republic, awarded by the Prime Minister of the French Government.
This Prize, created in 1988, is awarded in recognition and support for the completion of individual or collective projects carried out in the field, in France or abroad, regardless of nationality or borders, to promote and protect human rights.
This application should include a field initiative or project to be implemented in France or abroad.
• Theme 1: young human rights defenders
Thirty years ago, the United Nations General Assembly adopted the Convention on the Rights of the Child. To mark this occasion, the French National Consultative Commission on Human Rights (CNCDH) has decided to honour initiatives by young human rights defenders, working individually or collectively to promote and defend human rights.
Theme 2: the duty of brotherhood
Article 1 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights states that “All human beings […] should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.” This brotherhood involves recognizing the inherent dignity of all members of the human family. Brotherhood and dignity are central to the universality of human rights.
1. Applications are open to individuals or NGOs that run one or more projects seeking to address humanitarian needs, providing relief and assistance to people in need, whoever they are, particularly by extending an unconditional welcome.
2. Projects may also include advocacy initiatives or efforts to defend the duty of brotherhood and the freedom to provide assistance for humanitarian purposes, regardless of origin, religion, social background or administrative status.
1. They will receive a medal and share a total sum of €70,000, awarded by the CNCDH and to be used to implement their projects.
2. Five runners-up will be awarded a “special mention” medal by the French ambassador in their country of origin.
a) A letter of application presented and signed by the president or legal representative of the NGO concerned, or by the individual candidate.
b) The application form, which is attached to this call for applications and can be downloaded from the CNCDH website: http://www.cncdh.fr/fr/prix/prix-des-droits-de-lhomme.
The application must present, in detail, the actions carried out by the association or individual.
c) A presentation of the NGO concerned (statutes, operations, etc.), where appropriate.
d) The postal address and bank details of the NGO or the individual candidate.
Candidates must submit their complete application, before the deadline of 14 October 2019, to the Secretariat-General of the Commission:
>> TSA 40 720 – 20 avenue de Ségur, 75007 PARIS – France
>> or by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org