2019 Foreign and Commonwealth Office Zimbabwe Political Officer Vacancy
Deadline: December 17, 2018.
The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Main purpose of job:
The UK’s relationship with Zimbabwe is growing and improving. This role is intended to be flexible, providing operational support to the Embassy’s political team while also allowing the job holder to develop a portfolio of political contact making and reporting.
The job holder will ensure that inward visits to the embassy from officials from the UK or by senior Embassy officials to areas outside Harare go smoothly.
They will support the wider work of the Political Section as necessary especially when the Embassy is delivering large public events.
They will have responsibility for a political portfolio, representing the Embassy at external events, developing contacts, and providing political reporting for senior readers. The content of the portfolio will be discussed with the job holder on appointment depending on their interests and prior experience, but could include local government and regional politics, wildlife and the environment and elements of Human Rights or opposition politics.
Roles and responsibilities:
- To lead on vists for the section, organising programmes, ensuring logistical support and accompanying senior officials. This will include visits for senior members of the team to other parts of the country and inward visits from officials from London. (20%).
- To support the work of the section as required. The role is envisaged to be flexible and will be required to help with the delivery of large events for the Embassy working with other members of the team. To ensure the Section’s management of information and contacts is accurate. (40%)
- To deliver high quality political reporting and analysis covering both immediate events and a discrete political portfolio (likely to change but may initially include opposition parties, politics outside Harare, wildlife and the environment) working closely with the Second Secretary (Political) and the Senior Political Officer. To cover Senior Political Officer absences as required. (40%).
1. The successful applicant should have a degree in politics or a related field or relevant work experience in politics/research and analysis for government, a diplomatic mission, think tank or similar institution.
2. The applicant must be able to speak and write clearly and concisely to a high standard. The job holder must be a confident and skilled networker with strong organisational skills.
3. Project and programme management skills would be an advantage.
4. Seeing the Big Picture, Making Effective Decisions, Leading and Communicating, Delivering at Pace
1. This will be a high paced and exciting role, giving the applicant a good chance to develop a strong personal network and develop their analytical skills orally and in writing.
2. The applicant will have the chance to work at the heart of one of the most high profile Diplomatic Missions in Zimbabwe.
3. Occasional Home or remote working will be possible. Time Off in Lieu will be granted for anti-social hours worked.