2019 FAWE Mastercard Foundation Scholars Entrepreneurship Fund
Deadline: May 15, 2019.
FAWE invites applications for grants to support the Scholars Entrepreneurship initiatives under the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Entrepreneurship Fund (SEF) that will be implemented from March 2019 to March 2021. The SEF aims at nurturing creative and innovative Scholars’ business ideas to enable them productively and positively contribute to socio-economic development of their communities/countries. The project will be implemented in Rwanda and administered by FAWE Rwanda. The target group is the FAWE-Mastercard Foundation Scholars and alumni at tertiary education levels in Rwanda. The application period for the First Round (Round I) runs from 29th March, 2019 to 15th May, 2019. The business idea or project should contribute to the socio-economic impact of the community or country.
A project lead who must:
1. Be a FAWE Mastercard Foundation ongoing Scholar at the University of Rwanda
2. Be a Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program Alumni
3. Have a business idea/project to be implemented in Rwanda
4. Submit only one business idea/project per round.
The funding period runs from March 2019 to March 2021 with
possible funding for any single project ranging from a minimum of USD 500 to a
maximum of USD 5,000.
1. Feasibility and viability – attainable outcomes, profitability and socio-economic
2. Potential to respond to community/market needs — basic market
analysis/research of the problem to be addressed by the project, improved
livelihood (income, jobs)
3. Costing and budget of the proposed project — cost-effectiveness, leverage,
realistic budget with a growth plan
4. Creativity and innovativeness — source of funds, balance between academics and
5. Experience in the area of interest (self or mentor) i.e. if technical expertise is
needed to implement a project;
6. Potential for expansion and/scalability
7. Potential for job creation
8. Compliance — meets ethical standards and Rwanda’s government regulatory