2019 Electric South AR/VR Lab Internship Program for South Africa
Deadline: August 16, 2019.
Virtual Reality, 3D Printing, Artificial Intelligence, Bio-Hacking, and beyond: tools that artists can use for creative expression are expanding and evolving. We believe that these new technologies must open up spaces for original voices and underrepresented narratives. This urgent need to showcase African stories in the medium of today inspired a 21st century production studio: Electric South.
Founded in 2015, we are a registered non-profit company based in Cape Town, South Africa and operating across the African continent. We are involved in the production of daring and urgent stories around African experiences; in building audiences and exhibition models for these stories in the local sector; and in the skills development required to advance a robust ecosystem of coopetition.
1. The function of this internship is to support the team running the logistics prior to and during the annual Electric South VR/AR lab and summit. The internship will run for 6 to 8 weeks in October/November 2019.
2. Now in its 4th year, the lab brings together diverse African artists to develop stories told through creative technology alongside leading industry mentors.
3. The goal for the intern is to facilitate a happy, safe and productive environment where this group of exceptional artists and leading industry professionals can collaborate and be creative, using a range of pioneering tech tools.
4. The intern will gain a network of some of the world’s most esteemed thoughtleaders in immersive media, and practice communication and coordination skills. During the lab, the intern may sit in on masterclasses and training sessions.
5. The intern will be hosted free of charge for one week at the lab (transport, meals and accommodation included) at a beautiful, high-end private retreat in the Cape vineyards.
1. Passion for arts, culture and technology
2. Interest in learning about VR and new media
3. Cheerful, supportive attitude
4. Adobe suite design skills
Stipend of R1000 per week, plus 6 days of transport, meals and accommodation included at a private retreat in the Cape vineyards during the week of the Lab.