2019 EASST Research Grant Competition for Researchers from East Africa
Deadline: April 1, 2019.
The East Africa Social Science Translation (EASST) Collaborative invites
pairs of researchers from East Africa and the CEGA affiliate network to submit proposals for grants to evaluate innovative interventions in health, education, economic development, energy, and other sectors.
The EASST network is comprised of researchers in Kenya, Rwanda, Ethiopia, Uganda, and Tanzania. EASST seeks to also make strides in Burundi and South Sudan. Example universities in the network are Makerere University, Addis Ababa University, the African Population and Health Research Center (APHRC), the University of Dar es Salaam, the National University of Rwanda, Twaweza, Ethiopian Economics Association (EEA), Ethiopian Development Research Institute (EDRI), United States International University (USIU),and the Economic Policy Research Center (EPRC.).
1. Submissions must be made by at least one CEGA affiliated Principal Investigator
(affiliate or grad students sponsored by affiliate) and one East African Principal Investigator.
2. While the competition is open to any East African researcher, preference will be given to EASST fellows.
3. Applications will be accepted for work in Kenya, Rwanda, Ethiopia, Tanzania, Uganda, Burundi, or South Sudan.
4. Funding will support impact evaluations (randomized control trials or quasi-
experimental studies) that address a topic of critical importance to economic development in East Africa, i.e.agriculture,health,youth empowerment, financial inclusion, etc.
A total of $240,000 in research funding will be awarded across all projects. Researchers may request up to $50,000 in funding.
1. Cover Sheet
2)Research Proposal: This proposal narrative must not exceed five (5) pages in length and must address all eight items discussed below in the Proposal Guidelines .The proposal should be written in Times font, Size 11 and may be single-spaced. We strongly advise you to refer to the EASST Proposal and Budget Example when writing your statement, which is included in the proposal package.
3) Budget: This document must be completed in its entirety using the accompanying excel sheet “EASST_Budget Template_2019.” We strongly recommend that you refer to the budget in the EASST Proposal and Budget Example , when completing your excel sheet.
4)Save the cover sheet and research proposal as a single PDF. The filename should read “Proposal_CEGAPIname_EASSTPIname.” Save the budget as “Budget_CEGAPIname_EASSTPIname.”
5)Submit files on Submittable portal here: https://cega.submittable.com/submit/130722/2019-easst-request-for-proposals