2019 DATA4CHANGE Program for Journalists and Data Researchers
Deadline: February 28, 2019.
Applications are now open for designers, journalists, data researchers and web developers to attend this year’s DATA4CHANGE flagship event in Nairobi, Kenya. Do you have what it takes to join our new cohort of talented people who are passionate about data and design for social good?
Since 2014, hundreds of people from all over the world have attended DATA4CHANGE events in London, Beirut, Amman and Kampala.
The event is a 5-day design sprint where multidisciplinary teams consisting of the best local, regional and international talent in data, design, journalism and technology are teamed up with NGOs that collect data. Together, they create high-level prototypes of data-driven projects or campaigns aimed at solving some of the world’s most pressing challenges.
1. They are after people who work as data researchers and analysts, graphic designers, UX designers, web developers and data journalists. Because each creative team only has 4-6 members we are especially fond of people with more than one skill set.
2. Their events are fast paced, so no matter what role you apply for you need to be someone who thrives under pressure.
3. You also need to love teamwork, because DATA4CHANGE is all about collaboration and skill sharing across borders and disciplines.
4. The application process is very competitive. On average, more than 20 people apply for each available spot at our design sprints. So make sure to put your best foot forward and spend time on your application.
- Travel and accommodation: They cover travel travel and accommodation for all international and non-local participants to the event in Nairobi, Kenya. Although you must purchase your own travel insurance, without proof of that we won’t let you come, safety first.
- Per diem: Participants are also provided a modest per diem to cover additional expenses such as taxis and food.
- Certificate: After the event you will receive a certificate and you will be added to our exclusive network.
- New skills, new friends, new opportunities: their events are often described as “life changing” and we expect nothing less of our Nairobi event. By attending DATA4CHANGE you will learn new skills and make new friends from all over the world who are as passionate as you about using data for social good. Many people who have attended our events have found new exciting jobs opportunities and collaborators as a result.
- Oh and…: They also promise that you will have a really fun time 🙂
1. To apply you have to fill out an application form, submit your CV and a 5-page portfolio in PDF format. In your portfolio we want to see examples of your work and your processes.
2. To help you create this we have made a checklist of items that we want you to include in your portfolio that you can download here.
3. The deadline for applications is Thursday the 28th of February at 5pm GMT, and no applications will be considered after this date.