2019 Call for Nomination for Africa Food Prize
Deadline: May 14, 2019.
The Africa Food Prize is the preeminent award for recognizing the extraordinary
individual or institution whose contributions to African agriculture are forging a
new era of sustainable food security and economic opportunity for all Africans.
The Africa Food Prize recognizes extraordinary women, men, and institutions whose outstanding contributions to African agriculture are forging a new era of sustainable
food security and economic opportunity that elevates all Africans.
1. The Africa Food Prize can be awarded to any individual or identifiable group of individuals, as well as to established institutions, associations, organizations
or government bodies with a formal and recognized judicial and organizational structure contributing to the overall objectives of the Prize.
2. The Prize can be awarded to any qualified candidate, irrespective of nationality, profession or location, whose work, and contributions deriving from the work, has had
a clear impact on the African situation, nationally, regionally or for the continent.
3. The Prize can be awarded with reference to a specific contribution or achievement, or a series of efforts and results in the recent past, preferably within the last few
4. Current or recent members of the Africa Food Prize Committee, or an
institution/ organization headed by such a member, are ineligiblefor the Prize.
5. The Prize cannot be awarded to a person already deceased, but will be presented
in the event a Prize winner dies before receiving the Prize.
6. The Prize can be awarded to more than one winner, but not more than two. If shared, each winner will receive equal prize money (USD 100 000 divided in two), a
diploma and a trophy.
The USD 100,000 prize celebrates Africans who are taking control of the continent’s agriculture agenda and changing the reality of farming in Africa from a struggle to survive to a business that thrives. It puts a bright spotlight on bold initiatives and technical innovations that can be replicated across the continent.