2019 British High Commission Lagos, Nigeria Digital Communications – Internship
Deadline: March 29, 2019.
The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Working with the Digital Communications Officer to manage the British High Commission Abuja webpage and digital media platforms, including Facebook and Twitter
- Keep a well organised electronic library of photos and audio/visual files for use in publications, productions or for release to the media
- Photograph and record BDHC and other HMG departments’ activities as required
- Monitor digital media for issues of interest to the UK mission in Nigeria
- Work with Nigeria wide HMG departments, including British Council, DFID, UKVI to develop, create and publish content that creatively promotes HMG work in Nigeria
- Manage and engage database of contacts for Youth & Creative Industries project.
- Create content to engage database regularly.
- Work with Lagos based Press and Public Affairs Officer on Soft Power strategy and implementation
- Identify and pursue opportunities to achieve greater awareness of UK in the creative sector and among the youth demographic through strategic partnerships
- Initiate and maintain effective relationships with key stakeholders to identify opportunities for possible strategic partnerships and to strengthen the UK Government overall perception amongst young Nigerians
- Ensure up to date content and quality assurance on the UK in Nigeria digital platforms including the website and social media platforms.
- Use in-house resources effectively to conceptualize, storyboard and record compelling audio-visual content
- Thorough knowledge of social media, including the ability to design strategy and analyse usage in order to shape BHC engagement and to focus campaigns.
- Excellent analytical, writing, communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to design, implement and measure social media campaigns.
- Ability to write clear, engaging copy for social media and other short form content.
- Experience with audio-visual content production.
- Familiarity with messaging for digital diplomacy.
- Strong collaborative skills; including professional and confident communication with external stakeholders and team members.
- Ability to maintain strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Knowledge of email campaign software
- Evidence of maintaining effective professional network of contacts
- Evidence of designing and delivering communications plans
- The ability to work as part of a busy, creative team, as well as willingness to provide support to team members as needed
- Resilience, flexibility and ability to deliver quality under pressure and strict timelines
- Project or event management experience
- Knowledge of Nigerian arts & cultural scene
- Familiarity with video editing software
- Making Effective Decisions, Collaborating and Partnering, Managing a Quality Service, Delivering at Pace
- On the job training will be provided including on FCO digital communications channels and tools.
- There may be possibility for flexible working patterns, and if required, should be discussed with the line manager.