2019 Australian Institute of International Affairs Social Media Internship
Deadline: August 12, 2019.
The Australian Institute of International Affairs (AIIA) is an independent, non-profit organisation established in 1925 to promote public understanding and interest in international affairs in Australia. The Institute provides a forum for discussion and research on subjects of topical and continuing interest through meetings, conferences and seminars addressed by distinguished specialists and public figures. The AIIA operates nationwide across seven State and territory branches and a National Office in Canberra.
The Council organises a program of some 40-50 events per year, consisting of speaking engagements open to both members and non-members. These events are delivered by a dynamic and broad cross-section of diplomats, academics, journalists and other experts. AIIA’s events are a unique opportunity for the public to engage in candid first-hand discussions with people who are shaping the world.
The role of the Social Media Intern is to effectively promote the organisation’s events, and to increase brand awareness and brand positioning through online engagement. The ideal applicant will be familiar with the various social media sites.
• Develop strategic, meaningful campaigns regarding events and social media posts
• Create engaging social media content to promote and increase awareness of events
• Write concise and informative social media copy, focussing on international relations
• Create eye-catching artwork (e.g. through CANVA)
• Develop content calendars on a weekly basis
• Brand audit and situational analysis of AIIA Victoria (and competition)
• Identify strategic segments, target markets and positioning
1. Sound working knowledge of social media platforms (e.g. Facebook; Twitter; Instagram (and Instagram Story); LinkedIn)
2. Ability to write creatively and concisely
3. Strong time management & planning skills; ability to work autonomously
4. Strong interest in international relations and current affairs issues
1. Work can be conducted both at home and at the AIIA VIC office in East Melbourne. The successful applicant will be required to use his or her own laptop. The exact hours and location of work will be determined once the successful applicant has been selected. These may vary depending on requirements at different stages of the Internship
2. Interns are encouraged and welcome to attend standard events free of charge, and each Intern is given a year’s free Membership at the commencement of the Internship.
To apply please submit the following to [email protected] quoting “Social Media Internship” in the subject line:
• One-page cover letter stating how you meet the requirements of the role;
• Brief CV