2019 ASIA FOUNDATION DEVELOPMENT FELLOWS PROGRAM
2019 ASIA FOUNDATION DEVELOPMENT FELLOWS PROGRAM
Deadline: October 22, 2018.
The Asia Foundation Development Fellows program is a dynamic and multifaceted learning program designed for highly talented Asian individuals, under age 40, to enhance their leadership skills, Asian development knowledge, professional networks, and international exposure. The program reflects the Foundation’s six-decade tradition of investing in the region’s most promising future leaders. The 2019 program will consist of two intensive modules, including two weeks in Asia and another two weeks in the United States, allowing Fellows to stay in their current occupations during the Fellowship year.
The Asia Foundation Development Fellows program is comprised of the following five components:
- Leadership Training Program: The Leadership Training Program features an intensive one-week course with the Korea Development Institute (KDI) School of Public Policy and Management in South Korea. With the larger objective of enhancing leadership skills and potential, the training focuses on strategic thinking and decision-making, working with participants on developing critical perspectives, solving complicated problems, managing change, and introducing innovative approaches in leadership and management.
- Workshop on Asian Development: Immediately following the Leadership Training component is a one-week study tour program involving leading development practitioners and thinkers, recognized policy leaders, and academics who will help Fellows explore various approaches that deliver positive impact and advance development knowledge. The workshop is held each year in a different Asian nation, where development challenges and innovations will serve as a contextual backdrop for applying theories and concepts in international development. Previous workshops have taken place in the Philippines, Nepal, Mongolia, Vietnam and Sri Lanka.
- Leadership Dialogue and Exchange : Fellows will take part in a leadership dialogue and exchange program in the United States, providing important opportunities to extend personal bonds with their cohort, as well as building international perspectives and networks of support and inspiration. Over a two-week period, the Fellows will take part in a comprehensive series of programs, policy discussions, and leadership development opportunities organized in and around San Francisco and Washington, DC.
- Professional Development Award– An award of up to US$5,000 will be made available to each of the selected Fellows. This cash award will allow each Fellow the opportunity to design individualized plans to further their leadership skills and relevant professional experience in areas of particular importance to their career growth. Each Fellow will be asked to develop a personalized, year-long work plan that can involve such areas as enrollment in specialized training programs or short courses, language study, travel to attend key regional forums or workshops, or engagement in a series of other enrichment activities.
- Mentoring : Building on the regional network and local capacity of The Asia Foundation, the program offers a mentoring component that is tailored around the background and professional interests of the Fellows. The Foundation has valuable perspectives to lend to the field of leadership development, with a proven program history and record of commitment throughout Asia. Fellows will also become part of an active and engaged alumni network.
Asia Foundation Development Fellows must:
- Have a demonstrable record of experience and accomplishment related to The Asia Foundation’s fields of expertise: governance and law, economic development, women’s empowerment, environment, and regional cooperation;
- Be thoughtful, committed, respected and inspirational leaders within their professional fields and within their larger community;
- Be under 40 years of age by January 1, 2019;
- Be conversant in English (TOEFL exam results are not required);
- Be available and able to participate in all program components on the program dates specified; and
- Be resident nationals or citizens of the following countries where The Asia Foundation has programs: Afghanistan; Bangladesh; Cambodia; China; India; Indonesia; Japan; Korea; Laos; Malaysia; Mongolia; Myanmar; Nepal; Pakistan; Philippines; Singapore; Sri Lanka; Thailand; Timor-Leste; and, Vietnam.
The program is highly competitive. Staff from The Asia Foundation will evaluate each application thoroughly and narrow down the pool of applicants. Final selections will be conducted by a distinguished committee with expertise on Asia’s needs and development conditions. Fellows will be chosen without regard to gender, race, religion, sexual orientation, ethnic background, marital status, or financial need. All submitted application information will be treated as confidential unless stated otherwise in the application. The identities of nominees will also remain confidential throughout the final selection process.