2019 Alltech Young Scientist competition
Deadline: December 31, 2018.
The Alltech Young Scientist competition has welcomed the participation of over 60,000 students from over 70 countries and has awarded $1 million in prizes. Please note we have made a few changes. The competition is now open exclusively to university graduate students (Master and Ph.D. level). We welcome other budding scientists, from kindergarten to undergraduate students, to engage with us on Facebook and Instagram, where we will feature special contests and other exciting content.
The Alltech Young Scientist competition challenges the world’s brightest graduate students to apply their scientific expertise to challenges within the business of agriculture and food. They compete at the regional and global level by submitting scientific papers on topics within the area of agricultural science.
- You must be a current graduate student in the process of completing your Master or Ph.D. degree in one of the areas of interest noted below.
- Please view the Alltech Young Scientist Paper and Presentation Requirementsbefore writing your research paper for the Regional Competition and preparing your presentation for the Global Competition.
- Eligible research paper topics are listed below, and a detailed explanation is noted in the Alltech Young Scientist Areas of Interest for Research Papers.
- Animal Feeding Strategies and Modeling
- Crop Science
- Agriculture Analytical Methods
- Food Chain Safety and Traceability
- Human Health and Nutrition
COMPETITION AND PRIZES
- REGIONAL COMPETITION
- Students first compete within their home region.
II. We identify four regions globally: North America, Latin America, Asia Pacific and Europe/Africa.
III. The top students from each region are awarded with cash prizes and certificates.
IV. The 1st place winner from each region advances to the Global Competition and is referred to as an ‘AYS finalist’.
Regional 1st Place Prize: Graduate = $2000 Cash USD
Regional 2nd Place Prize: Graduate = $1000 Cash USD
- GLOBAL FINAL
- The AYS finalists from all four regions are invited to attend an all-expense-paid Discovery Week in Lexington, Kentucky, USA. This trip includes mentoring sessions with Alltech scientists, the global competition and the opportunity to attend ONE: The Alltech Ideas Conference.
- Each finalist will present his/her paper in front of a panel of judges and the global winner will be announced on stage during the conference.
III. Global Graduate 1st Place Prize: $10,000 Cash USD
Discovery Week includes:
- Mentorship – Alltech scientists and professional experts share academic and career insights
- Presentation Coaching – The Alltech team will help finalists practice their presentations and offer valuable advice
- Global Competition – Finalists present their research in front of a panel of international judges and audience members
- ONE: The Alltech Ideas Conference – Learning and networking opportunity with over 3000 people from around the world, interaction with the press and media, and friendships and experiences to last a lifetime.