2019 AFS Global Citizen Prize for Young Leaders Worldwide
Deadline: May 31, 2019.
In 2015, world leaders agreed to 17 goals for a better world by 2030. These United Nations Sustainable Development Goalshave the power to end poverty, fight inequality and stop climate change. AFS knows that social, economic and other important issues today transcend national boundaries and cannot be resolved by any one group alone.
Alongside our other AFS Global Awards, this prize reaffirms AFS’s commitment to developing active global citizens from all backgrounds. To solve pressing 21st century challenges, AFS develops Active Global Citizens who take action to make a positive difference wherever they live, learn, work and volunteer.
1. Young people who are leading a project that brings together individuals and communities (representing different cultural, ethnic, religious or other differences) to tackle one or more of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) can be nominated.
2. The AFS Global Citizen Prize for Young Leaders will be awarded to an individual who demonstrates a compelling approach to foster intercultural understanding.
3. Young people are eligible for the prize if they are no older than 30 years old and are running a project that:
- addresses a pressing global issue outlined in the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals
- makes impact on the local, national or international level
- engages with diversity as a key to success
- can be scaled up and extended
- leads to a more just and peaceful world
1. The new AFS annual award will recognize one extraordinary young person for their commitment to improving the global community with a US$10,000 cash prize,
2. Trip to Montreal to attend the AFS Global Conference, international recognition and membership in the AFS community of young and active global citizens.
1. Candidates who fit the criteria can apply for the AFS Global Citizen Prize for Young Leaders by filling in the application form and submitting it before 31 May 2019. Only one application (focused on one project) per person will be considered.
2. Candidates for the AFS Global Citizen Prize for Young Leaders can also be nominated by someone else. The nominator should provide basic information within the designated form, after which AFS will notify the candidate about the nomination, complete with criteria and application.
3. One person can nominate as many candidates as they wish. The number of nominations received will not influence the selection of the Prize winner.
4. Only fully completed applications submitted before 31 May 2019 will be taken into consideration. Following a review of completed applications, we will contact finalists for more information in order to select the Prize winner.