2019 African Institute for Mathematical Sciences (AIMS) Communications &Public engagement director Recruitment
Deadline: March 31, 2019.
AIMS vision is to lead the transformation of Africa through innovative scientific training, technical advances and breakthrough discoveries which benefit the whole of society and its mission is to enable Africa’s brightest students to flourish as independent thinkers, problem solvers and innovators capable of propelling Africa’s future scientific, educational and economic self-sufficiency.
Collectively, AIMS centres provide an intensive and broad education to over 275 African students each year and prepares them for leadership careers in academia, government and industry. The AIMS educational program relies
on top international lecturers who teach in a 24-hour learning environment.
Based from the AIMS-NEI Secretariat, and reporting to the President & CEO, the Director, Communications & Public Engagement, you will be responsible to create, plan and implement an effective communications strategy that builds and strengthens brand awareness, leveraging a variety of traditional and non-traditional communications mediums to actively engage existing and new stakeholders.
As a dynamic and multi-talented communications professional, you will champion and be an ambassador to tell the AIMS story and to capture the right levels of profile, partnerships and recognition. You have a demonstrated ability to interpret, develop and implement thoughtfully constructed strategies to engage a variety of audiences both internal and external to the organization and to contribute to its continued growth
and advancement of goals and objectives – ultimately to cultivate the Next Einstein – all while giving leadership to and managing a team of up to 8 direct and indirect team members.
1. Bachelor’s or Master’s degree (preferred) in communications, journalism, public relations or related field required along with 10+ years of relevant experience at a management level
2. Significant political and media network in Africa and globally
3. Must be a self-starter with natural leadership and team building abilities
4. Articulate communicator (written, verbal and visual) with exceptional English language skills; French language skills are a desired advantage
5. Flexible to adapt to a dynamic, evolving environment alongside a growing team of uniquely diverse professionals
6. Ability to understand and adapt behaviour to a decentralized governance structure working with local Communications expertise at centre level for harmonization and quality assurance across the network
7. Self-sufficient with MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and savvy with web-based applications (Dropbox, Google, Skype, Social Media)
8. Familiar with the political, social, economic and cultural context of working in Africa
9. A genuine interest in STEM education and research
1. Submit your letter of motivation, including salary expectations together with a detailed CV as one document, in English to: [email protected] (Please quote “Director, CPE” in the subject line). Applications will be accepted until March 31, 2019.
2. Should no feedback be received from AIMS-NEI within four weeks of your submission, kindly accept that your application will not be further pursued. AIMS-NEI reserves the right not to make an appointment at its sole discretion.