2019 Afresist Youth Leadership Program for Young Africans
Deadline: February 11, 2019.
The Afresist Youth Leadership Program (AYLP) was created by activists of Afrika Youth Movement (AYM) and is rooted in the belief that African youth can be everyday pan-Africanists, everyday leaders, everyday activists.
AYM is Africa’s largest youth-led Pan-African movement that strives for the participation, development, and leadership of African youth to achieve their rights to peace, equality and social justice.
Drawing on the experiences of AYM organizers, members and hub leaders, AYM identified a need to train, build capacity of, support and coach young people in a Pan-African space of solidarity and resilience.
Are you a young African aged between 18-25 years old?
Curious about Pan-Africanism?
Want to be part of a new generation of young Pan-Africanists?
Want to discover & (re)imagine the system of values a youth leader needs to realise positive social change?
Want to be empowered to claim your agency and identity as a young African leader?
Want to reflect on your place in Africa’s present and future to start building the Africa we want?
If yes then this opportunity is for you!
The two-phase program offers two weeks of intensive training which provides participants with an experience that will equip them with skills, knowledge and network to own and build the Africa We Want!
There will be online activities and engagement which will take place throughout the program; and two ‘face-to-face’ trainings on the continent.
Centred on Pan-African philosophy, participants will gain knowledge on various theoretical and practical approaches that include:
- Intersectional Analysis
- African Leadership and Wisdom
- Postcolonial Africa
- Concept of Power
- African-inspired self-care tools
- Intergenerational dialogue
- African Art and Spirituality
- African Women’s wisdom
In a nutshell, participants will be learning and sharing experiences to reflect, collaborate and co-create their vision for Africa.
- Africans residing in Africa
- 18-25 years old at the time of submitting the application
- Have good proficiency in English
- Have a genuine interest in personal growth and self-empowerment
- Be aspiring or young leaders in their communities
- Full and partial scholarships will be provided to selected applicants.
- Full scholarship includes travel, accommodation and program registration.
- Partial scholarship includes accommodation and program registration.
- Program materials which includes African movies, literature, art, case studies
- Certificate of becoming an “Afresist Leader” after completion of the full program