2019 Absa L’Atelier Art Competition young African Visual Artists
Deadline: May 31, 2019.
The Absa L’Atelier art competition is one of Africa’s most prestigious art competitions, and 2019 sees the 34th iteration of the competition. The Absa L’Atelier art competition rewards young visual artists, aged 21 to 40, with the opportunity to develop their talents abroad. This is clearly evidenced by the previous winners and the benefits and experience they attained by participating.
The Absa L’Atelier art competition is hosted annually by Absa in partnership with the South African National Association for the Visual Arts (SANAVA).
Artists who are citizens and permanent residents of Botswana, Ghana, Kenya, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Nigeria, the Seychelles, South Africa, Tanzania, Uganda, and Zambia and who reside in the above countries, are eligible to participate in the Absa L’Atelier art competition and are hereby invited to enter.
- Artists are permitted one single entry
- This entry submission needs to be a portfolio of artworks
- The entry submission should consist of a minimum of four, and a maximum of five different artworks making up their portfolio entry
- Adjudication is done on the entry which consists of the portfolio of artworks
- All entries must be submitted through the online portal
- The portal opens for uploading of entries on the Absa L’Atelier website on 4 April 2019
- All entries close on 31 May 2019 at 16:00 (CAT)
- No late submissions will be accepted
- Adjudication is done through the online portal
- A total of ten (10) images may be uploaded showcasing the artist’s entry
- It is essential when registering online and uploading your artwork that all fields are completed. Failure to complete all fields will result in your entry been disqualified
- Any artist aged 21 to 40 years of age may enter the competition
The Ambassadors from each of the three Groups receive:
- A one-month residency at the Cité Internationale des Arts in Paris
- A two-month residency in South Africa
- While taking up their two-month residency in South Africa, the artists will enjoy a weekly art masterclass
- A monthly stipend during their three-month residency
- Coverage of all flights, travel-associated costs, and accommodation
- All three Absa L’Atelier Ambassadors will take up their residency at the same time
- While taking up their South African residency, artists will work together towards a group exhibition consisting of both individual and collaborative artworks
- The exhibition will be documented in a printed catalogue
- Their group exhibition will open in the Absa Gallery within a year after taking up their residency and will then travel to each artist’s respective countries
- All entrants are eligible for this prize
- The date of residency is March to May 2020