2018 SDSN Youth Partnerships & Fundraising Internship
Deadline: November 20, 2018.
On September 25th 2015, 193 member states of the United Nations adopted a set of 17 Sustainable Development Goals which will guide the social, economic and environmental actions everybody takes to achieve a sustainable future by the year 2030. This landmark agreement serves as a framework of global aspirations for the world to commit to in order to address the biggest global challenges of our time. They call upon all stakeholders – governments, businesses, civil society, academia and of course, youth, to work together in creating solutions that will meet the goals and their targets.
As young people and inheritors of this planet, we must spearhead the movement of transformation. Equipped with passion, creativity, energy and idealism, we can bring about generational change, challenge the status quo and secure a more prosperous and peaceful future. SDSN Youth educates young people about the Sustainable Development Goals and provides opportunities for them to pioneer innovative solutions to address the world’s biggest challenges.
The Partnerships and Fundraising Intern will assist the Secretariat with the SDSN Youth’s partnerships and fundraising activities.
The Interns’ key duties include assisting and supporting the SDSN Youth leadership in several key areas, including;
The Intern will be based at the SDSN New York office, reporting directly to the Global Coordinator of SDSN Youth.
At the time of applying for this role:
- Candidate must have some knowledge of sustainable development and be passionate about the mission of the SDSN, including the pursuit of the Sustainable Development Goals and the Paris Agreement on climate change.
- Candidate must have at least some relevant fundraising experience.
- Candidate must have experience working with various communications and management software, such as Google Suite, Excel, Trello, Dropbox, whatsApp, Facebook, etc, and be able to adapt to new tools.
- Candidate must be a proven team player with excellent interpersonal skills and ability to coordinate and manage to fundraise.
- Candidate must have excellent organizational and leadership skills.
- Experience with fundraising and donor engagement is highly desired.
- Candidate must be aged between 21-30 in order to be eligible for this role (exceptions may apply).
- A bachelor degree or higher in finance, economics or business administration is desirable.
- Candidate must be willing to attend after-hours conference calls/meeting.
- Candidate must possess an excellent command of the English language, including writing, speaking and listening.
The primary responsibilities of ‘fundraising Intern’ include but are not limited to:
- Support the secretariat in fundraising and donor relations for SDSN Youth, including setting up efficient fundraising protocols across the network, creating and approving agreements, and reporting.
- Support the secretariat in conducting prospect research: individual, corporate, foundation and government.
- Compile and submit proposal packages for funding.
- Draft and edit donor correspondence (eg. Letters of inquiry, email meeting requests, donor acknowledgment, and proposals).
- Support the secretariat in ensuring that SDSN protocols for finance and administration are applied throughout SDSN Youth.
- Support the secretariat in providing regular updates to key SDSN Youth stakeholders (internal and external) and effectively communicate progress.
- Design and implement metrics for impact assessment and progress reporting across the network.
- Work with the Communications team to devise better marketing strategies aimed at engaging potential donors & partners. Mediums of engagement include social media, newsletter, website, etc.
- Support the Global Coordinator in partnership discussions and through negotiations.
- Right to work: Candidate must be able to legally work in the United States, as a citizen, lawful permanent resident, or hold a permit to prove eligibility to work in the US.
- Location: This position will be based in New York City, NY (Please note that candidates must have prior authorization to work in the United States, as we are unable to sponsor visas).
- Office: Candidate must work directly from the SDSN Secretariat in New York during the length of the internship (475, Riverside Dr. Suite 530, NYC).
- Internship Length: This internship is valid for a period of 3 months. However, subject to the review of work performed during the first 3 months, this internship may be extended by up to 12 months.
- Hours: 15-20 hours per week (may vary depending on workload)
- Reporting: This position reports to the Global Coordinator of SDSN Youth
- Payment: The compensation for this position is consistent with standard internship rates offered by the SDSN Association ($18 USD per hour). However, in some cases, rates may vary based on academic qualifications (BA vs Masters).
- Travel: This position may require some domestic and international travel.