2018 Olusegun Obasanjo Prize for Scientific Discovery & Innovation
Deadline: December 6, 2018.
The Olusegun Obasanjo Prize for Scientific Discovery and/or Technological Innovation is intended to reward and honor African scientists who have made outstanding contributions in scientific discovery or technological innovation. The Prize has been named in honor of the former President of Nigeria, H.E. Chief Olusegun Obasanjo in recognition of his exemplary statesmanship and leadership at the national, regional and international levels and his contributions to political well-being, socio-economic development and the positive role he has played in nurturing the spirit of scientific discovery and technological innovation in the African continent.
The AAS seeks to promote and foster growth of a vibrant African scientific community, and to stimulate and nurture the spirit of scientific discovery and technological innovation that would serve socio-economic development in Africa. The Chief Obasanjo Prize will be awarded to each of the following fields:
3. Information and communication technologies, and
4. Material sciences.
1. The Prize is open to all African scientists and technologists and does not recognize gender, ethnic, or geographical differences.
2. National scientists and Fellows in the employment of or who serve as senior advisors to The AAS are not eligible for nomination.
3. Similarly, the award may not be made to any person who is a current member of the Governing Organ of The AAS.
4. Similarly, the award may not be made to any person who is a current member of the Governing Organ of The AAS.
The Prize, which shall be awarded every two years, has three components:
1. Cash award of US$5,000 but this may periodically be reviewed and adjusted by the Governing Council (GC) of The AAS;
2. Gold Medal inscribed; and a
3. Citation – in a form of certificate.
The Prize may be awarded to an individual or jointly to two or more persons who will share the cash award in equal amounts.
Nominations are to be submitted on the AAS Ishango Online System. Self nominations will be accepted. Please follow the instructions below.
- Follow this link to get to the AAS Ishango Online System: https://aasishango.ccgranttracker.com/
- Register as a new user if you have not used the system before. If you have used the system before please proceed to step iv.
- The system will email you a temporary password.
- Follow the link https://aasishango.ccgranttracker.com/ again to access the system
- Go to existing user and log in with your password (first time users will be requested to replace their temporary password with one of their choice).
- Once you log in go to new grant application and go to click here
- Select The Olusegun Obasanjo Prize for Scientific and Technological Innovation and click onapply to begin filling in the online form.
- Once you have provided al the required information, please validate and submit the form.
Please contact Olivia Osula at [email protected] if you need any clarification.